"Dust Caps" and rinsing rant

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Marek K:
Well, yes, that's the issue, isn't it? The first stage inlet. With the cap normally hanging from the yoke by a short cord, it's going to be close to the inlet and there's a risk of blowing water droplets from the cap into the inlet... unless you're aware and careful.

Unless I misunderstood the concern...

--Marek

No, OK. I just never thought about this risk because my cords are so short that the 1st stage would always be turned at a right angle or more with the inlet facing away when drying the cap. So this risk doesn't exist on any of my regs.
I thought maybe you were getting at something else like the risk of blowing something (residue) from inside the cylinder at high speed against the inlet filter & thus forcing its way past and in.
Now I see you were just referring to the water.

I cover the 1st stage opening with a finger while I blow dry the cap.

I also only open the valve slightly so there is no loud nasty blast of air.

I also crack the tank valve before putting the reg on. This makes sure there is nothing in the valve to be blown into the reg when I presurize it. It only takes a crack, psssst, not a blast, PSSSSHHTTTTTT!

Like everything else in diving, there is good technique and bad technique. It pays to know the difference.

Back
Top Bottom