Dust Cap Waterproof?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dust caps work fine for rinsing gear but I wouldn't trust one under much pressure. Dropping the reg in a bucket of water with the dust cap on should keep it dry. Mine seems to stay dry on my regs.

Scott

Mortlock:
Yep, it's not like I'm getting a good flow of air when I do this but I am getting some.

What I'm really getting at here is should I soak my regs and rely on the dust cap to keep the 1st stage dry? Matt_Unique certainly doesn't believe so. Anyone else?

If not, what's the best way for me to rinse down my regs after a dive?

Thanks for the help,

Morty
If I understand correctly you have a DIN reg that you use with an adapter on Yoke valves?
If so, there are caps that you can screw (not only put on) on a DIN thread of the first stage and they have an o-ring in. These caps are completely air and water tight, as long as the o-ring is in place.

aquaoren:
If I understand correctly you have a DIN reg that you use with an adapter on Yoke valves?
If so, there are caps that you can screw (not only put on) on a DIN thread of the first stage and they have an o-ring in. These caps are completely air and water tight, as long as the o-ring is in place.

Yes, you do understand it correctly. I didn't realise these plugs were available. I'll have to look into getting one.

Thanks for the info,

Morty

Mortlock:
How effective is the dust cap in keeping water out of your 1st stage when you soak it after use? It doesn't seem to be watertight to me but is it good enough for the purpose of soaking in a tub?

Thank you,

Morty

Dust caps are NOT water tight, you must have an o-ring for anything to be water tight. It is better to just put your thumb over the 1st stage hole when you dip your reg in a rinse bucket. Dust caps are designed only to keep dust out while your reg is hanging in your garage.

Dust caps are also a line snag right along with the tank valve protectors an should not be left on your reg or tank while in the water. Yes, I am that anal about line snags and streamlining.

i found out that some dust caps are not waterproof and water will seep into the first stage,since my discovery i use an aftermarket dust cap with an internal o ring which makes it waterproof then.peace

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom