During your first couple of years of diving what were your biggest challenges?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...Otherwise, all the challenges have been the challenges that face every diver: Better buoyancy control, better situational awareness, better management of task loading, and how to find enough time and money to dive as much as I want to.

In reference to situational awareness and task loading, we're working on integrating EEG into our system. The EEG algorithms are able to reliably identify task overload. Other sensors can reflect stress, too. Is this a widespread problem in diving?

It would be interesting to see what kind of funding is available in the medical community to refine this kind of technology, making it practical for applications like diving. If you have any ideas, we are interested.

For me, two main things: buoyancy (especially trim) and my shot-to-heck knees. Carrying mail for 10 years - I have no cartilage in the right, and the left isn't much better. They've gotten stronger over time, but sometimes climbing the ladder or walking up the shore is a real challenge. And it's taken time to get my trim halfway decent; I always seemed to be head-up, feet down (and wearing Apollos made it more difficult). I felt much better when a male buddy told me that it was a common challenge for women due to our physical differences. I also reflect on the fact that I use air much more slowly that most of my male buddies (including my hotshot 16-year-old son!).

Good question; you'll find that if you ask it often, you'll see that the challenges you thought were unique to you are fairly common. One thing I love about this sport is that most people I meet are so eager to help, answer questions, offer encouragement.

One comment about gear weight challenges: I recently dug deep inside and found the discipline to start going to the gym. I've been doing some circuit training three times a week, and swimming the other days. I made two trips to Mexico, one before the training and one three weeks later. There was a NOTICEABLE difference in my strength between the two trips. (They were good yardsticks, because the gear's the same, and the stairs are the same for both trips.) It doesn't take long to gain strength, even though it's not real apparent in the gym itself.

My biggest challenges were as follows:

1) Bouyancy Control - I had trouble getting under, so I would add weight, then I would be overweighted and struggling to stay off the bottom. I overcame this by working on my technique so that I could get down with less weight. Many new divers don't realize how much they move their arms and legs near the surface, which tends to keep them afloat. Try to move as little as possible and that will help. Also, you don't need enough weight to sink completely to the bottom, just enough to get smoothly beneath the surface a few feet and then descend the rest of the way on your own. However, as you take weight off, be sure to account for the extra lift you get once your tank empties, or you will be in for an unpleasant surprize at the end of your dive. Working with more experienced divers helped me out here. Don't be afraid to ask for help mastering your skills, even after you are certified.

2) Finding buddies - I didn't dive for almost 10 years after I got certified, 'cause I didn't know any one. (I was certified long before the internet was commonplace). I stumbled upon a local dive club through an ad in the paper, and once I got involved with them, I always had a buddy. I am still a member of that dive club today.

3) Large boobs - custom-made westuits, back inflated BC. End of squishing. (ha ha)

4) Long hair - my hair is very thick and I used to wear it much, much longer. I would tie it back but it was always getting loose and in my face. I used to wear this little neoprene swim cap that had a little strap that goes under the chin, when I dove. It looked corny as He##, but it did the trick. Then I discovered do-rags and started using that. I found one at Sally's Hair Supply for less than $5.00.

5) Nervousness - I loved diving from the start, but I was nervous at first, which is natural. When I joined the dive club, a few more experienced divers took me under their wings and mentored me, which really helped me to improve my skills and confidence. Now I do the same for others.
Taking classes beyond Openwater also helped. I think everyone should take Rescue, because it makes you more calm knowing that you are a more-prepared diver. Also, just keep diving. The more dives you get in, the easier and more pleasant it becomes.

Congratulations on learning to dive. Diving has brought me so much joy over the years. May it do the same for you.

Safe diving to you,
Laura

There was a NOTICEABLE difference in my strength between the two trips.

Sort of amazes me how that happens. ...then I fall off the wagon and have to rediscover it again.

My first few years, (around 12) my biggest challenge was surviving my father. (happy Father's Day!)
He really prepared me for pushy, imprudent dive buddies because sometimes you really have to draw the line.

In later years, I would say understanding the ocean and being perceptive to changes that could prevent me from making it back to the boat. "Diving-wise", I would say not crossing the grey line that gets you bent, recognizing narcosis and managing that with pre-set rules for myself, staying calm when solo and the viz gets bad suddenly (the mental game)...ongoing process of identifying specific risks on a given dive (props, canoes races, random things out there that can ruin your dive)

Adjust and compensate for being cold, fuzzy, or diving with the *B-team*. Processing variables and managing your risk to an acceptable level.

Finding dive buddys was challenging, and also figuring out when my lds was giving me good advice, and when it was bs to make a sale of something I inevitably sold or replaced later on.

Asserting my limits to guys. I always hate admitting that I'm not as "tough" as the guys, however I've really had to learn that it's OK for me to say that I'm not OK.
- I was only able to do one of my advanced dives, even though my buddy was able to finish his whole series, because the water temp was ~43F and I got too cold even in my 7ml (wet). I waited a month and was easily able to complete all my dives in the tropical 52F water :) No one actually ridiculed me (though there was some teasing) I was my biggest problem...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom