During your first couple of years of diving what were your biggest challenges?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TSandM, you mentioned dealing with the weight of the gear. I have found that a bit difficult as well and the thought of doubles seem crushing. Any tips on dealing with the gear?

For now, I have been breaking my rig apart and then carrying pieces of it to the waters edge for shore diving and then once assembled floating it out a bit and then gettting in it. When it is time to change tanks, I leave it all on the bank and hike up the hill and change out the tank part only.

Actually, Leah, my advice is to carry your gear fully assembled as much as you can (either that or hit the gym). What's gotten me stronger, as far as I can tell, is just schlepping the stuff around. I don't try to carry anything in my arms; I wear the rig any time I have to move it, but I don't take things apart.

In the beginning, I used to. I'd carry the BC down to the water, and then make a run to the car for a hand truck to carry the tank. I got everything where it needed to go, but it took multiple trips, more time than my buddies needed, and involved remembering the hand cart. Finally, I just gave up and started putting everything together at the car and just wearing it to the water.

Strength definitely comes. And, as you work up to heavier stuff, the things you used before seem so much easier. My 95s seem like nerf balls compared with the doubles :)

TSandM...

I, too, am in awe of women with doubles. I've recently considered doubling up twin 80's...but worried, also, about the weight.

When you started diving doubles, how often were you hitting the water with the gear? If you were diving 95's...are you doubling 80's? Also have the opportunity to double HP50's...which seems funny, but I'm small, so they would fit well. Good on air...double 50's would take almost take me through an entire OW class. Maybe work up to double 80's...again the weight considerations...

The hike "down" to the water seems less scary than back UP from the water.

Not sure I'm ready yet...but 6 mos ago I wasn't even considering it...so who knows...?

Cindy,

I dive two to three times a week. I started out with doubled 72s (and if you ever want to come up and try them, give me a holler). I'll confess that, at the beginning, I dove Cove 2 and Edmonds exclusively, and only at high tide so I could minimize the walk! The problem was that I've never been able to trim the 72s out properly, so I've always been out of trim. When I had the opportunity to try a set of 85s, I did, and it was an immediate enormous relief. They're not that much heavier (they're not THAT much heavier than the 72s, to be honest) but they trim out MUCH better. And 170 cu ft of gas is enough for any dive I'm ever likely to do, and most of the time easily enough for two of the dives I usually do (sometimes three, if Edmonds or skills is involved).

I think my biggest challenges is just finding the time to go diving. Being a single mom and not having a sitter in a 200 mile radius just sucks sometimes. I have to drive them up to my parents and then meet up with friends; however, it is so worth it. :D

Since two to three weeks can go by before I can get back in the water I feel like I'm going back to step one. Especially with diving the drysuit. I make progress one day and then it is two weeks before I can dive again, and I feel like I'm back at square one. I need to add more undergarments so now I've got to add more weight. I really need to just sideline the alum bp for only diving with my wetsuit and just get a SS bp for the drysuit and it will solve my weight problem. :D

climbing up a boat ladder in doubles. actually picking them up from the floor to put into the car or into the fill tank. nothing else seems to take quite the brute strength.

i have *not* had trouble being taken seriously as a cave diver, so anyone thinking tech, don't let that stop you. both other guys *and* other gals have been nothing but warm & welcoming.

but i'm gonna start having problems like mel - much less money & time, much more babysitting to figure out!

My biggest problems in the beginning was thinking I had to keep up to the guys. My buddies were guys, and they out swam me at every opportunity. I would wear myself out trying to keep up with them.
I finally figured out (along with getting new buddies) that I didn't have to swim the ocean every dive.
Also, I learned with used gear, often not in perfect condition. My BC used to constantly self inflate, then the tank would hit me in the back of the head, nudging my mask creating a leak. I would roll over on my back, cross my arms to get all the air out, then get the water out of my mask. Swim.. Repeat. I learned how to "deal with it." Not the best case scenerio, but I fell in love with diving on my first dive (save that story for another day, but it has to do with fried chicken, big waves and diesel fuel :l:), and decided if I had to deal with all the issues, it was better than not diving.

I have to echo others posts about the weight of the equipment... It takes a lot of weight for me in a dry suit (31 pounds) plus the weight of the tanks, and my bp...I am one of these women that is blessed with being extremely buoyant it takes 12 pounds for me in just a swim suit, so you can imagine how much we can add for drysuit, 7 mil etc...

it's one ofthe reasons that I hate my drysuit....

I learned to dive while travelling, and we dived everywhere we travelled. The biggest problem was hire gear not fitting.

I am 178cm/5' 11'' and hour glass shape. I was a little more hour glass then if you get what I mean. To get a wetsuit that would fit round my hips meant I was in xxxl mens sizes and that meant I had enormous amounts of baggy neoprene around my belly, abdomen, upper chest and arms. Little wonder I didnt master my buoyancy skills.

Finally somwhere in Australia I found the last size 16 wetsuit on the rack and tried it on. I felt like Ursula Andress - it was figure hugging and I handed over the dollars right away!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom