During your first couple of years of diving what were your biggest challenges?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UnderSeaBumbleBee

Contributor
Reaction score
During your first couple of years of diving what were the biggest hurdles or challenges that you had to over come? And how did you deal with those things and over come them as they came up?

Ok now dang darn it!!! what has this got to do with being a woman? Well--- even though it could---I got suckered into the pink room again doooohhh!!!

Opps womans forum:no ...Asked my wife She agrees with Tamas! I think she's taking me on Nekton this fall!:D

Tamas:
Getting enough money and time to go diving - how did I overcome it? not sure, still trying to work that out :D

Mauifish:
Ok now dang darn it!!! what has this got to do with being a woman? Well--- even though it could---I got suckered into the pink room again doooohhh!!!
woman, what? DOH! are we in the women's view forums again?!

either way, my post stays I guess...at least it is relevant for all sexes

Related to being female? I think the weight of the gear and strength has been a big challenge, and still is. I just can't sling around double 85s the way my buddies can. But I manage (I couldn't get out of the pool with a single Al63 when I started . . . )

Another thing, to be honest with you, has been learning to be assertive enough underwater. As women often do, I have tended to defer a little and let somebody else take the lead. I had to learn to LEAD and take CHARGE when it's necessary. Luckily, I've had a couple of minor situations where I really HAD to step up and take over, and I remembered that lesson and did fine. But I always hear Joe Talavera's voice saying, "I know you can do better than that. I know what you do for a living!"

Otherwise, all the challenges have been the challenges that face every diver: Better buoyancy control, better situational awareness, better management of task loading, and how to find enough time and money to dive as much as I want to.

Rather than go into specific forums, I often will go to SB home page and click on any interesting looking thread. That's how I got here. Must be "OK" to respond even though I am not a woman nor do I intend to become one.

My biggest challenges have been buoyancy and breathing without a mask during mask recovery drills. I am still a newbie, only 50 dives and certified for less than a year, so I hope that they will become easier with practice. Actually, I know they will because they have gotten easier as I get more dives in.

I have to say that I didn't have any of the typical issues that plague newbie divers. The 2 things that have been the hardest for me are 1) my kicking, and 2) letting my buddy lead.

I was never a strong swimmer and my flutter kick was a "bicycle kick". Terrible! Thanks to my patient husband/buddy/mentor I learned to frog kick in about 4-5 days. That alone dropped my air consumption by almost half. Now I am going to try to learn the back up kick.

The second problem is that I'm a control freak and accustomed to being in charge at work. It takes a great deal of self restraint to let my husband call the shots on dives. This was critical since he is far more experienced and was leading us through minimum deco procedures. Not to mention wrecks at 100 feet :)
Although, I must admit, it is easier not to argue with him since I can't exactly talk while diving...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom