Dumping air with a single wing??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MASS-Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I was taught to pretty much always use my back dump with my doubles wing.

As of late, I've been diving with a singles rig - is this still the case? It seems with a single wing I can dump air with the inflator hose without blowing my trim much - is it still good practice to always use the rear dump with a singles wing?

Thanks!

MASS-Diver:
I was taught to pretty much always use my back dump with my doubles wing.

As of late, I've been diving with a singles rig - is this still the case? It seems with a single wing I can dump air with the inflator hose without blowing my trim much - is it still good practice to always use the rear dump with a singles wing?

Thanks!
Hi John,
I hesitate to say "always" or "never" w/anything. But to address your question, my advice (and what I tell students in the DIRF) is to use the method/location that is easiest to use based on your position in the water. For example, when I begin my descent, I am vertical in the water at the surface. I'll exhale and raise the inflator/deflator up and deflate my wing until I descend enough to get horizontal. Whenever I am horizontal, I'll use the rear dump as it is easier to use than blowing my trim in order to use the inflator/deflator. Single or double wing is operated the same way.
Sometimes, due to a lack of familiarity and muscle memory, it is a bit awkward at first. But give it a chance and I am very sure that you'll find your diving becoming easier and buoyancy and trim will become much more in your control.
Good luck John and I hope all is going well with you guys on the East Coast!!

dive safe!---b.

b.

BCS:
Hi John,
I hesitate to say "always" or "never" w/anything. But to address your question, my advice (and what I tell students in the DIRF) is to use the method/location that is easiest to use based on your position in the water. For example, when I begin my descent, I am vertical in the water at the surface. I'll exhale and raise the inflator/deflator up and deflate my wing until I descend enough to get horizontal. Whenever I am horizontal, I'll use the rear dump as it is easier to use than blowing my trim in order to use the inflator/deflator. Single or double wing is operated the same way.
Sometimes, due to a lack of familiarity and muscle memory, it is a bit awkward at first. But give it a chance and I am very sure that you'll find your diving becoming easier and buoyancy and trim will become much more in your control.
Good luck John and I hope all is going well with you guys on the East Coast!!

dive safe!---b.

b.

Cool, thanks Bradon. I hope is well with you too.

A bunch of us are heading down to CT in a few weeks for another round of fundies with Bob Sherwood - so all is good.

Enjoy your Fundies class with Bob. He's an excellent teacher and you'll be sure to learn TONS!!! Take good notes and watch your special fins :)

You'll be in for a special treat if he has Ed there too. Ed is very gifted at making good analogies in order to explain things well.

-Frank

I dive a 36# Pioneer and the only time I use my inflator hose to dump air is on my initial descent. Evry dump thereafter is using my rear dump. I've gotten so that I can simply reach back and wind the string around my finger without landmarking by the valve itself - and in 7mm neoprene wetgloves that's saying something.

FreeFloat:
I've gotten so that I can simply reach back and wind the string around my finger without landmarking by the valve itself - and in 7mm neoprene wetgloves that's saying something.

How do you dump the excess gas from your ego? Does it auto vent through your ears? :D

d33ps1x:
How do you dump the excess gas from your ego? Does it auto vent through your ears? :D
Tch, Tch Tch you're in the DIR forum.

scuba-punk:
Enjoy your Fundies class with Bob. He's an excellent teacher and you'll be sure to learn TONS!!! Take good notes and watch your special fins :)

You'll be in for a special treat if he has Ed there too. Ed is very gifted at making good analogies in order to explain things well.

-Frank

Thanks, I'm really looking forward to it.

I learned a ton the first time around with Brando and MHK and I've heard great stuff about Bob. I believe Ed will be there as well.

The trouble I have with "always" using the rear dump is that, in order to get air out of the feet of your drysuit, you *have* to blow trim a bit (or at least in my experience). Thus, in order to use my rear dump, I'm constantly doing this seasawing motion...feet up to dump from the wing, feet down to dump from the drysuit.

d33ps1x:
How do you dump the excess gas from your ego? Does it auto vent through your ears?
Now now, that was so not nice.....................

I was just trying to point out that after you build a little muscle memory it can become pretty much an automatic motion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom