Dump valve gasket adhesive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CuriousRambler

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a somewhat older (2008 manufacture) Halcyon Eclipse wing. The OPV spring was recalled because some of them apparently rust badly enough to be an issue. I discussed it with Halcyon and I chose against replacing it (at least for now) because I take my OPV off for storage anyway, to ensure I'm not storing water inside the wing.

Anyway, the rubber gasket that sits inside the "top hat" that the spring pushes on to seal the dump valve recently started falling out. I obviously inflate the wing and check the seal after I reassemble it, which is how I first noticed the gasket missing the first time. Fortunately, it had just fallen out and was on the floor at my feet.

It looks like they just used black RTV to hold it in to begin with. Anybody have suggestions on what to use? No sense in choosing the wrong stuff and losing it anyway.

On my home made ones, I just use a little rubber cement. Works well so far.

Respectfully

James

I never bothered. A bread bag tie used to attach it to something on the assembly for safe keeping seems to work for me.

YMMV

I never bothered. A bread bag tie used to attach it to something on the assembly for safe keeping seems to work for me.

YMMV

I'm thinking my explanation wasn't clear, I don't think a bread bag tie will solve this particular problem :D I'm trying to figure out how to keep the rubber disk from falling out of the valve assembly, see the attached image:

pgfwMv0.jpg

Thanks for the tip @James79 - I don't think I've got any around, but perhaps it's time to pick some up!

I'm thinking my explanation wasn't clear, I don't think a bread bag tie will solve this particular problem :D I'm trying to figure out how to keep the rubber disk from falling out of the valve assembly, see the attached image:

View attachment 580710

Thanks for the tip @James79 - I don't think I've got any around, but perhaps it's time to pick some up!

Gasgacinch

It's used by some scuba manufacturers to help seal the bcd/wing corrugated hose connections. Salt water tolerant and can be easily peeled off.

use something silly, do not use cyanoacrylate as you will not be able to remove the rubber disk to replace the cord.

Gasgacinch

It's used by some scuba manufacturers to help seal the bcd/wing corrugated hose connections. Salt water tolerant and can be easily peeled off.

Had to order some pressure washer parts from Amazon, so I grabbed a can. Thanks for the tip, I've never heard of it before!

I have a somewhat older (2008 manufacture) Halcyon Eclipse wing. The OPV spring was recalled because some of them apparently rust badly enough to be an issue. I discussed it with Halcyon and I chose against replacing it (at least for now) because I take my OPV off for storage anyway, to ensure I'm not storing water inside the wing.

Anyway, the rubber gasket that sits inside the "top hat" that the spring pushes on to seal the dump valve recently started falling out. I obviously inflate the wing and check the seal after I reassemble it, which is how I first noticed the gasket missing the first time. Fortunately, it had just fallen out and was on the floor at my feet.

It looks like they just used black RTV to hold it in to begin with. Anybody have suggestions on what to use? No sense in choosing the wrong stuff and losing it anyway.

CR...

Cut a disc of two face tape...

I don't recommend an adhesive...or anything that could form a permanent un-even surface which could cause your dump valve to leak...

You also want to make sure you have access to the cord end...for any future cord re-knotting/replacement...

W...

CR...

Cut a disc of two face tape...

I don't recommend an adhesive...or anything that could form a permanent un-even surface which could cause your dump valve to leak...

You also want to make sure you have access to the cord end...for any future cord re-knotting/replacement...

W...
The issue of separation later for maintenance is why I went with plain old kid's rubber cement... It makes it more like an uber post it note, stays stuck but easy enough to peel off later.

Respectfully,

James

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom