VDH wing question (dump valve)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxE

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a VDH 18lb wing. I like it but don’t dive it all that much as it’s my light travel rig. Anyhow I was traveling and had a chance to dive it a bunch this past week. I had issues with the dump valve, and venting. I had changed the pull cord and thought it was the issue so I swapped it for some line from a reel. That did not seem to really fix it. So back home looking at it, I thought it may have been the rubber disc that makes the seal, it’s not glued to the plastic disc the spring pushes. I thought maybe the water pressure was holding it in place preventing the venting. So I fixed that. Still does not seem to want to open. Then I noticed that with the cap screwed all the way down there is just not room to compress the spring. On my other wing (different brand) the vent cap screws all down and has plenty of space to compress the spring and open the valve. It’s an easy fix to just unscrew the cap to allow the necessary space to compress the spring and allow venting, but this just seems wrong. Has anyone else noticed this?

I have a VDH 18lb wing. I like it but don’t dive it all that much as it’s my light travel rig. Anyhow I was traveling and had a chance to dive it a bunch this past week. I had issues with the dump valve, and venting. I had changed the pull cord and thought it was the issue so I swapped it for some line from a reel. That did not seem to really fix it. So back home looking at it, I thought it may have been the rubber disc that makes the seal, it’s not glued to the plastic disc the spring pushes. I thought maybe the water pressure was holding it in place preventing the venting. So I fixed that. Still does not seem to want to open. Then I noticed that with the cap screwed all the way down there is just not room to compress the spring. On my other wing (different brand) the vent cap screws all down and has plenty of space to compress the spring and open the valve. It’s an easy fix to just unscrew the cap to allow the necessary space to compress the spring and allow venting, but this just seems wrong. Has anyone else noticed this?
Try writing Brian at Vintage Double Hose to get his input. Better yet, post on the VDH forum. Others might suggest something.

rx7diver

Sounds like a tolerence issue to me. My two VDH wings are very similar in that the valve does not offset a large amount but I have not noted any venting problems. Do not tighten the cap down hard, just barely snug should be enough.

I cannot swear this will fit without taking my wings apart but I think I have threaded an Oxy cap onto a VDH wing or vice versa:

James

Sounds like a tolerence issue to me. My two VDH wings are very similar in that the valve does not offset a large amount but I have not noted any venting problems. Do not tighten the cap down hard, just barely snug should be enough.

I cannot swear this will fit without taking my wings apart but I think I have threaded an Oxy cap onto a VDH wing or vice versa:

James
I have already ordered those with the same idea. Barely snug is still too tight to have enough room to open the valve adequately it’s a few turns from snug.

There is minimal room in there but plenty for dumping
I am baffled by the amount of dumping you people do

Those three mentioned dumps are all interchangeable

Your idea of adequately that includes a few turns from
snug, suggests you should not be touching your gear!

Just checked my VDH 35lb d it dumps fine, never noticed any problem with the 18 which I no longer have, it doesn’t need to move much.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom