Dumb scuba products

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hardly, since these blinking lights are too dim. And do not forget, they were common before the mass production of glowsticks began. So they were not dumb for their time--just became outdated now.

On group night dives, I am far more irritated by the super-powerful LEDs used by the go-pro crowd.
Get a wide angle UV light and get away from the crowd. Pretty cool to see the reef glow back at you. I can only imagine what it looks like in the Indo Pacific.

Get a wide angle UV light and get away from the crowd. Pretty cool to see the reef glow back at you. I can only imagine what it looks like in the Indo Pacific.

I did my share of solo night dives, though UV is still on my bucket list :)

I work in product development, and in startups, so I have a mixed view...

On the one hand, there are often design requirements that we don't know about or don't agree with. Ones that the product fits really well, and even if we don't agree with the design intent, it may well meet the requirements really well.

On the other hand... Just about everything about that helmet mounted rebreather seems like a very bad idea.

I mean, some people probably think that people who dive double hose regulators are crazy. Didn't stop me from putting down money for a Kraken. And I could have bought a very nice single-hose reg set for the same money.

And hey, the new ideas often seem bad and stupid, but the real test is: are people willing to pay money for the darn thing.

That's odd. I have hundreds of dives with a camera mounted to my mask and never lost it. I get complimented on my videos as well. Here's some of my better edits from this year.

The funny thing is, I've found a camera tray can also result in jerky video. As seen below. Maybe my head is more steady than most, or it's a myth. If you're comfortable, cool, calm and collected, video will generally turn out well. And editing is 90% of the effort into decent videos.

Why do you turn off comments on your Youtube videos?

Why do you turn off comments on your Youtube videos?
There's a lot of dumbasses on there that say really stupid things and I didn't want to spend the time to monitor the channel. I really just use YT to share videos elsewhere. I probably should turn commenting on though.

Dumb Scuba products.... where do you even begin? My current favs trash kit:

* Anything that claims to roll over sand. Pick your shiz up.

* Handles for tanks (neck or suitcase type)... they all come with a handle. Its called the valve, goober.

* Boots on AL80s.... the bottom is already flat. What gives?

Boots on AL80s.... the bottom is already flat. What dives?
The most compelling reason for boots on my tanks is protecting the tile and other surfaces at the pools where I train. Saves some wear and tear on gravel and other surfaces, too.

I actually knew someone who purchased that product, back in the late 1990s; or thereabouts. Since his vision didn't require any correction, he was supplied with contacts, to make him artificially myopic; so, that on land, in order to see what the hell he was doing, he had to wear goggles, to correct for the, yes, unnecessary contacts. Damn.

Since we were hiking in to remote accesses in Northern California, that didnt last too long . . .

How 'bout this piece of unadulterated crap from the sylphs at Apollo -- a moisture filter for your regulator, which attaches to the first stage, at the low, low price of 200.00? Why stop at that?

The claims; oh, the claims:

"Negative Ions refresh, invigorate and increase alertness. The force of moisture through flow tube crushes water molecules which then attach to oxygen molecules to create negative ions. This generates 7000-8000 pcs/cc with each breath. Similar to levels produced by waterfalls and forests. Every dive should feel this great!"

What's it going to take, my friend, to put this in your low pressure line?

Bio Filter Scuba Air Moisturizer | Apollo USA Scuba

Attachments

• IMG_1938.JPG
    IMG_1938.JPG
    14.8 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_1939.JPG
    IMG_1939.JPG
    28.6 KB · Views: 97
How 'bout this piece of unadulterated crap from the sylphs at Apollo -- a moisture filter for your regulator, which attaches to the first stage, at the low, low price of 200.00? Why stop at that?

The claims; oh, the claims:

"Negative Ions refresh, invigorate and increase alertness. The force of moisture through flow tube crushes water molecules which then attach to oxygen molecules to create negative ions. This generates 7000-8000 pcs/cc with each breath. Similar to levels produced by waterfalls and forests. Every dive should feel this great!"

What's it going to take, my friend, to put this in your low pressure line?

Bio Filter Scuba Air Moisturizer | Apollo USA Scuba
I have one of these. It works great. No dry mouth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom