Dumb scuba products

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

did mares maybe just rebadge the dacor after their acquisition?
I was familiar with the Mares H.U.B. but had not heard of a Dacor before. Looks like the Dacor was a purely Mares made item from after the acquisition, and then shifted to Mares after they dropped the Dacor name entirely.
The Mares Airtrim was just a component of the HUB, which also routed hoses through the BC from a unique/dedicated 1st stage, including the octo hose.
The Airtrim was still available up to just a few years ago, and the Aqualung i3 is a similar feature.

A (dim) colored tank marker light is fine if you feel the need to identify yourself to your dive buddy on a night dive, just don't let it blink. Blinking is annoying/distracting, can inadvertently set off photographers' slave strobes, and can be confusing if you are looking for a distant strobe that marks the boat or exit.

My nomination for the Dumb Scuba Product hall of shame:

Any camera or video product that attaches to your Head.
The worst idea ever! One - you will loose it. Two - The resulting video with be a motion sickness nightmare.
That's odd. I have hundreds of dives with a camera mounted to my mask and never lost it. I get complimented on my videos as well. Here's some of my better edits from this year.

The funny thing is, I've found a camera tray can also result in jerky video. As seen below. Maybe my head is more steady than most, or it's a myth. If you're comfortable, cool, calm and collected, video will generally turn out well. And editing is 90% of the effort into decent videos.

A (dim) colored tank marker light is fine if you feel the need to identify yourself to your dive buddy on a night dive, just don't let it blink. Blinking is annoying/distracting, can inadvertently set off photographers' slave strobes, and can be confusing if you are looking for a distant strobe that marks the boat or exit.
Hardly, since these blinking lights are too dim. And do not forget, they were common before the mass production of glowsticks began. So they were not dumb for their time--just became outdated now.

On group night dives, I am far more irritated by the super-powerful LEDs used by the go-pro crowd.

Back
Top Bottom