Dukoral???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wouldn't worry so much about either the water or fruits and veggies in and of themselves. I treat them exactly as I would back home in Canada when I am using them here. Your bigger worry (as in the rest of the world) is unwashed hands or cross contamination (the cutting board used earlier in the day for the raw chicken also being used for cutting the vegetables). And of course, if you travel to the east side of the island, be mindful that the lack of electricity may mean food hasn't been held at the right temperatures. If you see a restaurant packed with locals, you can safely assume the hygiene is good and people don't get sick eating there, since word would get around fast otherwise.

Your bigger worry (as in the rest of the world) is unwashed hands or cross contamination ... If you see a restaurant packed with locals, you can safely assume the hygiene is good and people don't get sick eating there, since word would get around fast otherwise.

Precisely.

It's well-established that people strongly prefer to worry about things that aren't very dangerous and blithely ignore things that are very dangerous.

Best advise for staying healthy in Cozumel, stay off the scooters, don't assume that you ever have the right of way as a pedestrian. All the rest has been covered earlier in this thread far beyond what is necessary.

I do that here. Look for the place that is packed with locals, it means it's safe and the food is usually good too.
I wouldn't worry so much about either the water or fruits and veggies in and of themselves. I treat them exactly as I would back home in Canada when I am using them here. Your bigger worry (as in the rest of the world) is unwashed hands or cross contamination (the cutting board used earlier in the day for the raw chicken also being used for cutting the vegetables). And of course, if you travel to the east side of the island, be mindful that the lack of electricity may mean food hasn't been held at the right temperatures. If you see a restaurant packed with locals, you can safely assume the hygiene is good and people don't get sick eating there, since word would get around fast otherwise.

I do that here. Look for the place that is packed with locals, it means it's safe and the food is usually good too.
It could also just mean that the locals have built up a tolerance.

Thanks to all. Did not realize that Americans wouldn't recognize "Dukoral," my bad. Our precautions for the previous trip to Mexico were based on long tropical experience. Glad to hear most of you think it's overkill for Mexico, or at any rate for Cozumel.

It could also just mean that the locals have built up a tolerance.

a tolerance to E. Coli? LOL,

You really do drink a bit more than the average guy don't you???

Cheers
Jerry

There's a reason why they call it "traveler's" diarrhea.

"It has been known for more than 60 years that individuals who move from low-risk areas to high-risk areas experience a high rate of diarrhea, though this rate significantly decreases as they remain in the area, suggesting the occurrence of natural immunization against prevalent pathogens.71 In addition, individuals from one developing area who visit another high-risk area show reduced rates of diarrhea, suggesting that agents found in one area of low hygiene are present in a similar region and that the induced immunity is widespread in these areas.72 This finding of natural immunity with exposure to local microbes has driven development of vaccines for the prevention of TD. The discovery that ETEC strains are the most common causes of TD and that ETEC infection occurs only in newly arrived travelers has led to the development of anti-ETEC vaccines."
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3061023/

Cheers
Jerry

Do you think that e. coli is the only pathogen that causes gastric distress?

FT:
Our precautions for the previous trip to Mexico were based on long tropical experience. Glad to hear most of you think it's overkill for Mexico, or at any rate for Cozumel.

I don't consider your precautions overkill for Mexico, just more conservative than most. My point was I wouldn't treat Cozumel any differently the any of the other tourist regions of Mexico. What works for you on the mainland will still work for you there. Many people have different levels of resistance to bacteria and viruses and while your precautions were more strict than most peoples, if they are what keeps you healthy during your vacations and you are okay with the experience, by all means keep doing it.

Back
Top Bottom