DUI Ring Gloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The SI Tech gloves have a little straw (? for lack of a better term) for equalization of the gloves with the suit. Not sure how useful it really is, but yes, my instructor said that as there was some squeeze on the gloves, his dexterity improved.

Oh, and also, I have a friend who wears double liners, but his first pair have the fingers cut off. So he gets a little bit of warmth without any loss of dexterity. He also tucks that glove under his suit seal to help with equalization. I keep meaning to give that a try, but keep forgetting.

For water temps of 40 to 50 degrees F, I usually wear double, but different-sized, liners, as pictured in my post above. With a fairly roomy, size Large Atlas 495, I still have good enough dexterity to easily work dog clips and all my 3/16" Ikelite housing buttons, etc. Retying laces on a Rockboot is difficult, but possible, as I found out once. :D

The combination of close-fitting and loose-fitting liners seem to secure themselves to my hand and to each other which helps to improve the dexterity, plus they don't seem as prone to bunching up and/or cutting off circulation when grasping something.

From 30 to 40 degrees, I'll use that combination of liners in an XL Atlas 495. I found that's even warmer than the size Large, but dexterity drops a bit, especially if I'm trying to manipulate something overhead while the glove is filling with air.

For equalization, I've been completely happy with the original thin silicone tubing provided with the gloves because it transfers air slowly.

I also like it because it transfers water slowly when a glove gets flooded! :D

Dave C

Another tip is that you can raise your arm above your head to get some of the warm air from your suit into the gloves. Sometimes I back my fingers out from the outer glove, and make a fist inside the palm of the glove. Your hands do become useless this way, but it does help to warm them up...

From their web site it looks like it is called the SI 5 Glove system.

Sorry ... didn't realize DUI is also offering the Si Tech system. For what it's worth, I've had a few buddies who had this Si Tech cuff/ring system on an old suit and have decided to not use them on their newer suits. They personally found the cuffs too bulky and, at times, difficult to don/doff.

DUI does offer a dry glove with a wrist dam, so that a flooded glove would not result in a flooded suit.

I'm pretty happy with my Zip Seals. The gloves can take some practice to install properly. But if you primarily dive cold water and would use the gloves on nearly every dive, it's pretty convenient just to leave them attached to the suit.

The Compressed Neoprene Glove by DUI are very simple to attach and even simpler to detach. I can attach each glove in less than 1 minute and half the time to remove it.

To make the zip seals a secure attachment you use some soapy water around both zeals on the glove and on your suit. The rest is simple you can literally hear the zip zeals snapping into place.

As you run your hands over the zeal on the outside since you cannot work from the inside you simply squeeze the zeals together and your will get any areas that didn't zeal. If you skip this last part you can leave an area on the zeal that will leak since it is not completely sealed.

MG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom