DUI Ring Gloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dang, you must have spent 30 minutes modifying your gloves. I went the easy route, and just found some generic work gloves from Wal Mart and I use those instead. The have fitted cuffs that stay out of the way pretty well.

Tom

I'll have to take a look at WalMart's gloves, thanks! I love multi-purpose stuff! :)

Dave C

My best glove purchase to date was at Target. They had some cheap*ss polypro knit gloves for a dollar a pair. I bought a lifetime supply! They have a shorter cuff similar to the liner shown above but cover my wrists well and keep them toasty.

Tammy says, that according to her intstructor the zip gloves by DUI have many failure points, can anyone elaborate on this? I own the Compressed Neoprene zip glove and although very difficult to DON/DOFF above water, I have no idea where these failures on the glove will be underwater?

I haven't taken my drysuit class yet, I'm looking forward to that this month...

Zip Gloves probably have less failure points because you don't have to put them on/off on every dive. The don't however, provide a wrist seal in addition to the glove, so if your glove floods, then your suit floods too. I think they do offer one with a wrist dam, but most people don't go for that, and I would imagine it makes donning pretty difficult.

Most ring systems leave the wrist seal intact, so you have protection against a suit flood. Plus you can change out the gloves easier. Another down side of the zipgloves is you can't take them off without getting at least partway out of the suit.

Tom

Tom,

It sounds like the failure points that Tammy mentioned are not due to bad design. I trust DUI makes a zip gloves that will withstand the elements that we divers place them under.

Diving Monterey is extremely cold and treacherous, I couldn't imagine diving my drysuit and then these Compressed gloves failing; they run $198 bucks for the pair.

I was very worried when I heard that these gloves are very prone to failure especially since the comment came from an instructor. I tend to value all comments made by instructors good or bad.

Mike G

I only said the instructor FEELS it has POTENTIAL for failure, not that it has. I would say it is because of the general ease of zip in/ zip out design that it makes him feel uncomfortable about it. Because of that he has never been sold on it. The quarries we dive are 42 degrees year round blow about 50 ft., so yes, a failure of a glove or seal could also be a big problem.

I only said the instructor FEELS it has POTENTIAL for failure, not that it has. I would say it is because of the general ease of zip in/ zip out design that it makes him feel uncomfortable about it. Because of that he has never been sold on it. The quarries we dive are 42 degrees year round blow about 50 ft., so yes, a failure of a glove or seal could also be a big problem.

Tammy,

Thanks for clarifying up your instructors opinion on my set of gloves. I've only been diving one year here on the California coast and just last month I got an incredible deal on a brand new DUI CLX 450.

After sending it back for all accessories I decided to get the Compressed Neoprene gloves in a size medium since my hands are short but wide. They fit really nicely with the liners but I have no idea how warm they will be in the water.

I was tired of getting really cold and uncomfortable on my dives while diving wet and figured if and when I do my change to drysuit I want the warmest glove for my dives.

That is one of the reasons I went with the compressed glove, a lot of divers have talked about how comfortable and extremely warm it is.

I can't imagine diving the frigid water you are exposed to, my undergarment is only rated to 45 degrees. The coldest I have done wet is 48 degrees and I was very cold and uncomfortable.

I have been told that Monterey does get cold but I don't think I have heard divers talk about it at 40 degrees.

MG

No problemo :D.
My instructor (& soon I) does a lot of long decompression diving in the quarries & also does a lot of winter diving, so a failure of the drysuit can be a major problem. Because I will soon be doing decompression diving & I also dive year round here in KY, I also want something to keep my hands warmer. After about 20 min. or so on th bottom of the quarry, my hands get so cold I lose feeling, dexterity & they begin cramping on me, rendering them all but useless for fine motor skills.

If your gloves work for you, by all means, continue to use them. What may work for one person, may or may not work for another.

The zipseal itself is the same whether you are wearing a standard zipseal or a zipglove. The 'zip' portion is exactly the same on either the seals or gloves, so you'd have the same chances of flooding whether you had zipgloves or zipseals.

The Zipgloves are a lot harder to actually install than Zipseals because 1. You need them aligned so the palm is facing the right way, and 2. it's harder to reach inside the sleeve to pop them in place because there isn't a hole through it. I would wager that most leaks caused by zip gloves are because they weren't installed properly, but that's just my educated guess.

I have had gloves flood before. With the atlas (smurf) gloves, the leak is usually a pinhole leak, and I can't even tell until I take the glove off, and the liner is wet. With rings, I just change out the glove, and in 5 min, I'm good to go. With Zipgloves, I would probably find the leak, and dab some aquaseal over it because they cost so much. Compressed Neoprene is even tougher, and I've heard aquaseal works well too. The only catastrophic glove flood I've ever had was when I was wearing a black rubber glove. I was at the tail of the plane in Mermet, and I tried to stop a runaway ascent by grabbing their fin and holding onto the tail of the plane. The metal sliced through the glove, and I had to end the dive.

As far as warmth goes, you need to also balance that with dexterity. I can wear a thick underglove, and have warm hands after an hour in 35* water, but my dexterity goes to pots. I've stopped wearing my heavy undergloves in favor of some army surplus gloves, or a pair of generic polypro work gloves. The work gloves by themselves are fine down to 50*. The wool is a little warmer, but itches, and for the really cold stuff, I still need to decide what I want to do.

Another thing about dexterity is that the outer glove makes a big difference. If I'm wearing a too-big smurf glove that has a lot of extra material, my fingers will slide around inside, and I can't work bolt snaps as well, but go down a size, and with the same liners I gain a little bit of dexterity. I would assume the crushed neoprene adds a little bit of warmth, but does it at the expense of dexterity. From hot stiff the stuff is, I think you would get more warmth with less dexterity loss if you went with smurf gloves with a double liner, but again, that's just my educated guess.

Tom

Oh, and also, I have a friend who wears double liners, but his first pair have the fingers cut off. So he gets a little bit of warmth without any loss of dexterity. He also tucks that glove under his suit seal to help with equalization. I keep meaning to give that a try, but keep forgetting.

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom