Question DUI drysuit - Zipper replace with glue-in instead of stitching

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Got the hard part done today. I've still got to glue the rubber tape on the inside to finish it off but I figured I'd do an impromptu leak test.

I don't have my tanks here at the moment so I just put it on, pulled the neck seal over my mouth (but below my nose) and inflated it with my lungs 🤣

Attachments

• PXL_20221004_224456717.jpg
    PXL_20221004_224456717.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 88
Got the hard part done today. I've still got to glue the rubber tape on the inside to finish it off but I figured I'd do an impromptu leak test.

I don't have my tanks here at the moment so I just put it on, pulled the neck seal over my mouth (but below my nose) and inflated it with my lungs 🤣
Specifics? What glue, what zipper did you go with? Obviously no stitching (but everyone says you don't really need stitching).

Specifics? What glue, what zipper did you go with? Obviously no stitching (but everyone says you don't really need stitching).
I got a BDM zipper from eBay from drysuitrepairparts (in the uk) - primarily because it was the only place I could find that had the size I needed in stock.

I used a seam ripper to take out the stitches, then once it was all removed I gently picked at the end until I could start to pull the old zipper out.

I used a Dremel with a sanding wheel to grind down the previous aquaseal that was left over. I got most of it off but not all of it. I'm pretty sure the zipper was replaced once before on this suit, probably by DUI themselves since it had what seemed like some extra stitching holes on the fabric and two different distinct layers of aquaseal. I got it down so it was pretty flat but didn't want to risk going too deep removing the previous aquaseal and and into the material.

I also sanded the zipper a little bit to give it a better surface for the glue to stick to.

Then I cleaned both the zipper and the suit with acetone (100% acetone nail polish remover borrowed from my wife)

I used DRIS drysuit glue, applied three or four layers on the top of the zipper and four or five on the suit itself.

I did it outside on a patio table because it was an easy work space. It is a little chilly out today (50°F) and the glue seemed to lose its tackiness faster than when I was using it to do boots in my garage a few months ago when it was in the 70's.

I mostly followed that YouTube video, I used an old bag that some Deep Six Eddy's came in (the plastic material was perfect for this, and it was easy to cut nice long strips of it) to cover the glue on the zipper while I was working with it.

When I finished sticking it into place, there were some places that seemed like they didn't stick perfectly so I got my heat gun out and slowly worked my way around both sides of the zipper hitting it with a little heat and then pressing it together hard to get the reactivated glue to sit perfectly flush with no ripples.

It didn't seem to have any leaks when I had it on me, so that's a good sign.

I'll apply the rubber finishing tape stuff tomorrow. (I'm not sure if it's really necessary, but if it helps keep this zipper working longer it's worth it.)

This suit is a DUI TLS 350 from 1996 and the material is in great shape still (no signs of delamination anywhere).

When I get it on an actual dive or do an actual leak test on it I'll know better if it's good a good seal, but so far it seems great.

I think glueing a replacement zipper in is much easier than replacing boots. Stitching seems unnecessary and only serves to make the next replacement harder.

Surface prep took probably four hours (including removing the old zipper) and gluing was probably a total of 90 minutes spread out a little bit.

I've got about an hour left to put the rubber finishing tape on tomorrow.

I got a BDM zipper from eBay from drysuitrepairparts (in the uk) - primarily because it was the only place I could find that had the size I needed in stock.

I used a seam ripper to take out the stitches, then once it was all removed I gently picked at the end until I could start to pull the old zipper out.

I used a Dremel with a sanding wheel to grind down the previous aquaseal that was left over. I got most of it off but not all of it. I'm pretty sure the zipper was replaced once before on this suit, probably by DUI themselves since it had what seemed like some extra stitching holes on the fabric and two different distinct layers of aquaseal. I got it down so it was pretty flat but didn't want to risk going too deep removing the previous aquaseal and and into the material.

I also sanded the zipper a little bit to give it a better surface for the glue to stick to.

Then I cleaned both the zipper and the suit with acetone (100% acetone nail polish remover borrowed from my wife)

I used DRIS drysuit glue, applied three or four layers on the top of the zipper and four or five on the suit itself.

I did it outside on a patio table because it was an easy work space. It is a little chilly out today (50°F) and the glue seemed to lose its tackiness faster than when I was using it to do boots in my garage a few months ago when it was in the 70's.

I mostly followed that YouTube video, I used an old bag that some Deep Six Eddy's came in (the plastic material was perfect for this, and it was easy to cut nice long strips of it) to cover the glue on the zipper while I was working with it.

When I finished sticking it into place, there were some places that seemed like they didn't stick perfectly so I got my heat gun out and slowly worked my way around both sides of the zipper hitting it with a little heat and then pressing it together hard to get the reactivated glue to sit perfectly flush with no ripples.

It didn't seem to have any leaks when I had it on me, so that's a good sign.

I'll apply the rubber finishing tape stuff tomorrow. (I'm not sure if it's really necessary, but if it helps keep this zipper working longer it's worth it.)

This suit is a DUI TLS 350 from 1996 and the material is in great shape still (no signs of delamination anywhere).

When I get it on an actual dive or do an actual leak test on it I'll know better if it's good a good seal, but so far it seems great.

I think glueing a replacement zipper in is much easier than replacing boots. Stitching seems unnecessary and only serves to make the next replacement harder.

Surface prep took probably four hours (including removing the old zipper) and gluing was probably a total of 90 minutes spread out a little bit.

I've got about an hour left to put the rubber finishing tape on tomorrow.

Do you know if you got the regular BDM or the HD version. From what I understand the regular has 8 teeth in an inch and the HD had 6 teeth in an inch. The heavy duty version is a little more pricey.

Do you know if you got the regular BDM or the HD version. From what I understand the regular has 8 teeth in an inch and the HD had 6 teeth in an inch. The heavy duty version is a little more pricey.

The regular one. My previous was a regular bdm and I wanted to match it.

The regular one was cheap on eBay. The crashing British pound makes it even cheaper now than it was when I bought it.

I used the TiZip, roughed up the surfaces to be glued, wiped 4 times with MEK, used the sc4000 and plastic bags.
Sorry, no pics.
This is the method I used:

I avoid using Aquaseal for almost anything. It doesn't last very well. When I do use it, I use Goop, which is the exact same stuff, but a fraction of the price. I always thin/accelerate it with Cotol.

I haven't tried heat to loosen the sc4000. I'll try it tonight and let you know.
Have you used Goop for replacing a zipper, or for just sealing seams, pin holes or applying tape?

Have you used Goop for replacing a zipper, or for just sealing seams, pin holes or applying tape?
Never. Goop isn't very good for much other than repairing shoes, lol. It breaks down too quickly to be useful for zipper installs. SC4000 is the best I have seen. Pangofol is good too.

Pangofol and SC4000, seemingly impossible to find in Canada. I guess we're not big on two part adhesives. But on the bright side we have just recently legalized VCR's

I used AquaSeal FD with the accelerator, though expensive, it seemed to be very good. Durable it seems and sticks really well. I sandpapered and used some of the accelerator to wipe clean before applying. I was only trying to get a 20 year old CF200, where it had a couple of leaks in the suit to neoprene to be fixed. Problem is that shortly there after other leaks were found and I knew it was futile to keep trying. A custom CF200 I have now for over a year that was it's replacement. If the AquaSeal FD would be sold in larger quantities at a discount, may good for larger work. I can hope I don't need much for the suit as it is new.

I avoid using Aquaseal for almost anything. It doesn't last very well.

Aquaseal is magnificent stuff, if you know what you are glueing for instance urethane
Other than that most misuse it glueing neoprene where it does not have the flexibility

Aquaseal lasts very well with compatible materials

I did it outside on a patio table because it was an easy work space.

DRIS glue is so potent man that if you use it indoors your head will hit the ceiling man then the floor

Back
Top Bottom