Question DUI drysuit - Zipper replace with glue-in instead of stitching

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ryebrye

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I found a few threads where people have come to the consensus that sewing in a replacement drysuit zipper isn't really necessary.

I'm planning to replace the bdm zipper on an older tls-350 that is otherwise in good condition.

The current zipper is the factory zipper that was sewn in.

The question I have is how to make it look good when it's done. I can cut the threads and remove the existing zipper. My assumption now is that I will cover it in rubber finishing tape on the outside edge of the zipper to hide the stitching parts I removed - is this what others have done?

I'm planning to roughly follow the YouTube drysuit repair guy who shows how to glue a new zipper in. On his, he asked the finishing tape on the inside, but he didn't have to cut stitching out of his.

The other tip I've seen is to cover the glue parts with plastic bag material (thick plastic like gallon ziplock) and remove it a small part at a time when applying it.

Anything else to be aware of before I go down this route?

I've got a replacement bdm zipper coming tomorrow. I've got a can of the DRIS drysuit cement (which seems like it can be loosened with a heat gun if I need to) and I've got some aquaseal and the rubber finishing tape ready to go.

Please take lots of pics. I am getting ready to do this on a neoprene suit. I don't know what the TLS 350 is made from?

I have glued a lot, but haven't done a zipper yet. The 2 glues mentioned for zippers are DRiS and rema sc4000 (which might be the same thing.. who knows). Rough up and then clean and clean and clean the surfaces. Prepare the area and tape off the areas that you don't want glue, cover the suit with plastic so nothing drips. The better you setup, the better off you are. Layer the glue with a good amount of time in between. Different materials require different amount of layers. Use plastic to keep in between the parts an slowly pull off and work your say from one side to the other. It's not hard, but the glue is very sticky, so take.your time.

I know with DRiS glue you can heat it up with a hair dryer to pull apart. Not sure about rema sc4000.

If you search my name you'll find 2 different threads on Ultima Drygloves and Trigon P valve (withlots of pictures).

If you plan to use aquaseal, don't use it until the end. It will not come apart with heat the way the regular glue does. That stuff is powerful.

Cannot emphasize enough how crucial it is to prep and clean the surfaces. Sandpaper or a dremel and then wipe down with acetone.

The plastic bag trick is awesome. It makes lining everything up simple. I find zippers easier to replace than neck seals.

Cannot emphasize enough how crucial it is to prep and clean the surfaces. Sandpaper or a dremel and then wipe down with acetone.

The plastic bag trick is awesome. It makes lining everything up simple. I find zippers easier to replace than neck seals.

What glue do you use?

I am looking to do my neo suit, I know DRiS glue works, but they sell it in such a small container. I might give Rema SC4000 a shot, they might even be the same.

I tell people all the time, the prep work takes way more time and is way more important than the actual gluing.

I did the zip in my compressed neoprene CF200 with SC4000 and a plastic zipper. Still going strong 5 years later.

What glue do you use?

I am looking to do my neo suit, I know DRiS glue works, but they sell it in such a small container. I might give Rema SC4000 a shot, they might even be the same.

I tell people all the time, the prep work takes way more time and is way more important than the actual gluing.
I use the stuff DGE sells, "620 adhesive".

I learned the prep work part the hard way more than once.

I did the zip in my compressed neoprene CF200 with SC4000 and a plastic zipper. Still going strong 5 years later.
YKK Aquaseal or TiZip? Any pics?

I have read that the YKK can be a little harder to get to stick compared to the TiZip. Do you know if the rema Sc4000 becomes pliable with some heat (like DRiS glue does)?

I have had at least 3 fairly knowledgeable sources tell me to stick with brass... so I probably will

I use the stuff DGE sells, "620 adhesive".

I learned the prep work part the hard way more than once.

Yeah, when I did my dry glove rings I had a hell of a time with the aquaseal setting up way too fast on me. I spent the better part of 2 hours or so heating up the cuffs and pulling apart. What a pain. The second go around I only used the DRiS glue.... at least with that it becomes pliable with some heat. Prepped much better and all went well.

YKK Aquaseal or TiZip? Any pics?

I have read that the YKK can be a little harder to get to stick compared to the TiZip. Do you know if the rema Sc4000 becomes pliable with some heat (like DRiS glue does)?

I have had at least 3 fairly knowledgeable sources tell me to stick with brass... so I probably will

Yeah, when I did my dry glove rings I had a hell of a time with the aquaseal setting up way too fast on me. I spent the better part of 2 hours or so heating up the cuffs and pulling apart. What a pain. The second go around I only used the DRiS glue.... at least with that it becomes pliable with some heat. Prepped much better and all went well.
I used the TiZip, roughed up the surfaces to be glued, wiped 4 times with MEK, used the sc4000 and plastic bags.
Sorry, no pics.
This is the method I used:

I avoid using Aquaseal for almost anything. It doesn't last very well. When I do use it, I use Goop, which is the exact same stuff, but a fraction of the price. I always thin/accelerate it with Cotol.

I haven't tried heat to loosen the sc4000. I'll try it tonight and let you know.

I used the TiZip, roughed up the surfaces to be glued, wiped 4 times with MEK, used the sc4000 and plastic bags.
Sorry, no pics.
This is the method I used:

I avoid using Aquaseal for almost anything. It doesn't last very well. When I do use it, I use Goop, which is the exact same stuff, but a fraction of the price. I always thin/accelerate it with Cotol.

The guy who made the video has been a tremendous help. Always answers questions and walks me through stuff... great source.

I don't like aquaseal either.

The guy who made the video has been a tremendous help. Always answers questions and walks me through stuff... great source.

I don't like aquaseal either.

That guy is great. I followed a different one of his videos to replace the boots on a different suit and it went very well.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom