Dui Clx450 Versus Tls350

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaDadMiami

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
I am getting measured tonight for a Signature Series CLX450. Right now, I have a TLS350.

I almost always wreck dive, which is why I am likely to opt for the all cordura option. I keep seeing posts about how stiff the 450 is (especially compared to the 350).

My only decision is between the 450 and the 350. Don't bother telling me about other brands, please.

So, for those of you that know about these issues: Is this that big of an issue for you? Does it interfere with reaching places with your arms (valves, etc.) or doing your kicks (prevents sufficient spread for good frog kick)? How big of a deal is this stiffness issue? If you have had a 350 before, you can make some camparisons if that will help.

I have also seen posts mentioning that the crotch wore out when scootering. So, if I add CF200 in the crotch, would that be enough to make it that you would not longer have issues with the 450 compared to the 350?

Thanks for any thoughts you can offer. It's a hard call to make when plunking down this kind of money.

FWIW, I'm getting the all cordura exterior, zip seals, large bellows pockets on both sides (with velcro and CF backing), the old style zipper, turbo soles, knee pads (leaning towards kevlar but may go with CF), SiTech valves and Halcyon non-balanced pee valve (I might also add some CF backing here). I am also likely to request that the exhaust valve be moved to the right side instead of standard left. I am open to any other good ideas you might have.

Thanks.

I have dived a 450 for a year now and love it. I do not notice any limitation in movement at all due to "stiffness". I do not scooter, so cannot comment on that issue, but the material does seem to be very tough and abrasion resistant. I tried the CF 200 and 350 (both stock suits) before purchasing the 450 (stock) and felt that the 450 was the best choice for me. The 200 seemed very constricting and the 350 seemed a bit too light to withstand any major abrasion. Sounds like a great purchase you are about to make.

I just finished getting measured today. I am going to finish up the order paperwork by end of weekend for placing the order. I am psyched! :banana:

I have been diving the clx450 All Cordura for about nine months. I would recommend the relief zipper, it has saved me a couple of times. Are you going to get the all black or white poke-a-dot codura?

RGist:
I would recommend the relief zipper, it has saved me a couple of times.

Why add another zipper as opposed to just adding a pee valve? My TLS350 has a Halcyon non-balanced pee valve. Never had a problem with it.

RGist:
Are you going to get the all black or white poke-a-dot cordura?

The Order form only mentions either black pinstripe or black and white pinstripe. I also thought I saw someone with the polka dot pattern before though I don't see this on the Order form. I do recall liking the way the polka dot pattern looked. I am looking for pictures these patterns on the suits. I can't seem to find any. Any pics and/or suggestions? My biggest concern is how it will look after a hundred dives; it is not so important how it looks when it is new and unused.

Thanks for any advice. I am in the process of preparing the forms as we speak. This is the last decision to make.

You may prefer the valve, both are better than nothing. I just wanted to make sure that you thought about it. It can be painful without one or the other!

As far as the colors, they both look good, but they look very different. So make sure you get it the way you want it. I have the black and white poke-a-dot and it looks great after about 50 dives. I think they will both wear well. just my thoughts.

Scubadad, I was in a shop here in San Diego and looked at the 450. The polkadot is more like a pin dot, very small. You can barely see it.

I'm coming back on the redeye Wednesday night. Are you up for either WPB or Key Largo this coming weekend?

reubencahn:
Scubadad, I was in a shop here in San Diego and looked at the 450. The polkadot is more like a pin dot, very small. You can barely see it.

I'm coming back on the redeye Wednesday night. Are you up for either WPB or Key Largo this coming weekend?

For sure.

I just purchased a brand new 450CLX and a brand new TLS350.

I think the difference in the way the suits feel will deminish underwater. The TLS350 just feels lighter, and therefore easier to move around it. There is no restriction for me wearing the 450CLX suit..... it just "feels" stiffer. Again the stiffness should not be an issue underwater. I have absolutely no difficulty reaching my valves. In this regard the 450 is just as easy as the 350.

I don't understand what you mean by trying to make the decision... you already own the TLS350.

I have turbo soles on the 350, and I think that is going to be a problem for me. I have turtle fins, and the sock of the turbo soles, just does not fill up the fin pocket the way the rock boots do on my CLX450.

If you dive large pocket fins, do not get the turbo soles. Frankly I don't get the turbo sole deal.....as it just seems to me that you should either have a sock for rock boots, or a built in boot. The turbo sole is kind of in between and to me makes little sense. Also I have read the turbo soles wear out faster than the other two options.

BlueDolphin:
I don't understand what you mean by trying to make the decision... you already own the TLS350.

'Tis true. But, I am going to buy a new drysuit now. I was wondering whether to get another 350 or to go for the 450. I have decided to go for the 450.

BlueDolphin:
I have turbo soles on the 350, and I think that is going to be a problem for me. I have turtle fins, and the sock of the turbo soles, just does not fill up the fin pocket the way the rock boots do on my CLX450.

If you dive large pocket fins, do not get the turbo soles. Frankly I don't get the turbo sole deal.....as it just seems to me that you should either have a sock for rock boots, or a built in boot. The turbo sole is kind of in between and to me makes little sense. Also I have read the turbo soles wear out faster than the other two options.

I have turbo soles on my 350, and I love them. I used them with XL Jet Fins with no problem at all. I would consider them "built in boots."

It just so happens that, if I ever dive wet again, which I will not (recently dove wet on a Bahamas cruise--didn't bring my drysuit since it was only go be a couple of dives, and I wanted to travel light--it sucked, I froze, and I will never go wet again--ever!), my wetsuit booties are the same size as my turbo soles. So, I have no problem like you do with the rock boots. I can go either wet or dry using my same fins.

My current 350 was made in 1983, and it still has the original turbo soles on them. I don't think that the wear issue is a big deal. Besides, it doesn't wear out the bootie part, only the sole. I would suppose that they can easily be replaced before wearing into the CF200 material. If not, I will deal with replacing the turbo sole boots entirely if it ever gets to that point. I dive with people that are pretty hard core on their suits, and I have yet to hear of any of them having the soles wear out before other parts of the suit died.

I have made all of my decisions except that I am still trying to get information on possible colors. On the DUI web site, it says that the only color available for the all cordura suit is black. Yet, on the order form, it mentions black pinstripe or black and white pinstripe cordura options. I have even seen some people that have a very small, white polka dots on their CLX450 when I have been out on dive boats. I can't seem to find pictures of these (or if there are any other) color options anywhere. If you have any information on this or can point me to link that would clear this up, that would be very helpful.

I am hoping to have everything finalized by Monday.

Now, my question to you is: why did you get one of each instead of two of the same?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom