Dui Clx450 Versus Tls350

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I could be wrong... but I think the polka dots are the pinstripes. I think the only option they have is either all black (the polka dots are black), or the "pinstripe" which is the white polka dots.

I got both of my drysuits (CLX450 and TLS350), because I wanted to have a suit that could easily be packed and was fast drying. But I also wanted a suit that would hold up to most anything. The prices also made it an easy decision for me. My brand new CLX450 with zip seal wrists, two bellows pockets, sport package, cost me $1150.00 due to an error made at my LDS. I tried moderately hard to make them realize their mistake, and that I owed them more money.... but I could only argue so much with the clerk :) I purchased my brand new TLS350 with two thigh pockets, sport package, for $899.00, from another dive shop off of Ebay (in San Diego). These are brand new never sold suits. So I figured I could afford to have both.

Anyway, I think you will find things you like about both suits.

Okay, with a response like this:

BlueDolphin:
My brand new CLX450 with zip seal wrists, two bellows pockets, sport package, cost me $1150.00 due to an error made at my LDS. I tried moderately hard to make them realize their mistake, and that I owed them more money.... but I could only argue so much with the clerk :)

I just have to ask, is that price for a Signature Series? Is yours with the all cordura option? If you wouldn't mind, please either email, PM me, or, if you don't care, post here the contact information for this place. My best price is still well above that though I am getting a few more things like pee valve, neck zip seal, and SiTech valves (for which I don't think they charge more). I should at least check it out. Maybe they will be willing to make the same mistake with me :wink:

Back to the subject at hand,

BlueDolphin:
I think the polka dots are the pinstripes. I think the only option they have is either all black (the polka dots are black), or the "pinstripe" which is the white polka dots.

1. Just want to make sure that these dots were on the cordura part of the suit (not the CF200 part). Are both of these patterns available with the all cordura option?

2. Which pattern did you get for your 450?

I saw what you describe here as the white pinstripes on somebody's suit on a dive boat, and I thought it looked sharp. Can't say how it would look after numerous dives, but if it holds up well, I liked that a lot. I would probably go for that on the top of the suit and the all black on the bottom as a combo. Any opinion?

You would think I would be all hung up about more important things than color. But, that is the only decision I pretty much have left to make. Thanks for you input.

I understand.... hey it is a lot of money. You might as well concern yourself with the way it looks.

My suit is the stock size large. It has the cordura upper and the nylon lower. It has the CF200 knee pads (the sport option includes 1 pocket, knee pads, and hood choice). Mine is the black with polka dots on the upper. The lower is all black. I had them add a second bellows pocket to my order. I only opted for the wrist seals in zipseals, not the neck. My pockets are both velcro not zip.

You can get the lower part of the suit in the same cordura as the top. I believe you have to go with the Signature series to get this option.

You can not get the same deal as me on the CLX450. It was a mistake, in my favor. I just about craaapped purple turnips when it worked out the way it did. The sales clerk just would not take my money. I had made a return on a suit that was an XL. The manager saw that I had purchased that suit on sale from his store for $1150.00 (it was a 3 year old suit). When I went in to exchange it for a new suit, they did not have any in stock, and had to order the suit in. I also had them add $550 in extras. However, the sales gal insisted the manager told her to do a straight across swap. I tried to explain to her that I had upgrades added to the new suit, but she downright refused to take my money. I even told her to talk to the manager and call me if they needed more money from me. A teenager that refuses to be told they are wrong..... for once works in my favor in a big way. A brand new CLX450 direct from DUI for $1150.00 including sport package and an extra pocket, and including zip seals on the wrists. I'll take it.

The TSL350 I picked up on Ebay from DIVEUS. They had a brand new stock size large with two bellows pockets, seals uncut, STILL WITH TAGS. $899.00. Killer deal on that suit as well.

Anyway..... The normal CLX450 does not actually have CF200 on the lower portion. I thought so too, but if you check into it.... the material is actually a similar looking material to the CF200, of nylon. The knee pads ARE CF200 material (unless you opt for the more costly cordura, or kevlar knee pads.

As you are considering going with ALL cordura on the suit..... so did I. I just did not go that route, as I really liked the stretch quality of the nylon bottom.

A stock size large DUI fits me like a custom suit. My stock suit came to me just as I would have ordered a custom suit from DUI. I added all the extras I wanted. I just paid a heck of a lot less than a Signature or Custom suit.

Hope that helps. If you order a Signature suit, you can get it just about any way you want it. Even in colors of your choice.

BlueDolphin:
You can not get the same deal as me on the CLX450. It was a mistake, in my favor. I just about craaapped purple turnips when it worked out the way it did.

Yes, you sure did get a deal.

BlueDolphin:
A stock size large DUI fits me like a custom suit. My stock suit came to me just as I would have ordered a custom suit from DUI. I added all the extras I wanted. I just paid a heck of a lot less than a Signature or Custom suit.

I have been diving a stock medium TLS350. When I got measured this weekend, some parts of my body, per the DUI sizing chart, turned out to be small, some were medium, some were large, and some were extra large. (I will leave it up to everyone to guess which parts of my body go with which measurements.) So, I think it is best for me to go with a Signature Series.

BlueDolphin:
The knee pads ARE CF200 material (unless you opt for the more costly cordura, or kevlar knee pads).

I have kevlar knee pads on my 350, and I have had no problems with them at all. The DUI web site says that the CF200 are supposed to be more durable and they match the suit better. So, eventhough I originally was going to get kevlar again, I have likely changed that to CF200. The truth is, I only kneel when venting the air from my suit before I get into the water. It's not like I am on the bottom on my knees, or doing commercial diving. I hope the CF is not a mistake though.

BlueDolphin:
. . . the sport option includes 1 pocket . . . . I had them add a second bellows pocket to my order. . . . My pockets are both velcro not zip.

I, like you, am getting the velcro pockets (large bellows on both sides). I just think that the zipper would have been problems. My current pockets have velcro, and they work like a charm. I even had measurements taken from my finger tips to the floor so that the factory will put the pockets in just the right place. :crafty:

BlueDolphin:
Mine is the black with polka dots on the upper. The lower is all black.

When you say that you got the polka dots on the upper, is that the white dots? Are they everywhere on the upper, or just in certain places like where they would otherwise put an overlay of color (like on the 350)? How are they holding up lookwise after a number of dives? So far, I am leaning in this direction. If only I could get all the information, I will make my decision.

BlueDolphin:
If you order a Signature suit, you can get it just about any way you want it. Even in colors of your choice

That's the confusing part. The Order Form and web site make it sound like the all cordura is only available in black in one place, and then in other places, they mention the pinstripes. In another place on the Order Form, it mentions colors. Hopefully, I will get this cleared up tomorrow. I sent my Order Form to the dealer, and I requested information on this issue so that I can make the necessary decisions.

Thanks for all of your help, Blue.

I called DUI on the phone to talk to them about some of the options with the CLX450. DUI basically told me that I have to write a note on the order form, saying, "Yes, I really do want the all cordura top and bottom on my suit," when I place the order, like the way that people have to sign the waiver for getting a cave cut suit. The DUI guy told me that they are stiff suits, and to make sure that I know what I am getting into before going this route.

Even though the only thing left for me to do to finish up my purchase was to give the credit card number, I told the DUI guy that, after having this conversation with him, I wanted to re-think over everything before deciding. The one surprise in this conversation is that the stiffness the guy was referring to is in the legs; he didn't think that the arm stiffness is a big deal. All along, I have been worried about stiffness in the arms, and being able to reach my valves. Needless to say, I was getting pretty confused by the time I had now heard all of this from DUI.

Then, we started discussing some other possibilities. That's when I found out something new that I wanted to run by you. There are basically three ways I can go, and the third one is what I found out that's new. It's also the one I am thinking about going with in the end.

First, I can get a 450 with the cordura top and the regular bottom. That way, the top, where I think I would cause most wear (especially around the arms and shoulders), would be protected. I would add CF200 in the crotch to protect against wear from scootering. My concern with this option would be the stiffness in the arms, and the potential to cut the legs of the suit while wreck diving. Speaking of which, the legs are made from a polyester fabric instead of the nylon that the 350 has. DUI actually says that the 350 legs are more durable than the standard 450 because the polyester tends to catch on things easier.

Next, I can just go with all cordura on the top and bottom. A friend of mine had mentioned that she had caught her 350 near the seam, up around the pockets, on a wreck before, and that her husband's suit had also taken quite a beating in this area. I recently caught a fishing hook in my pocket, right next to the same place, when going through a wreck restriction. The all cordura suit would be the best option for protection from damage resulting from catching on things in wrecks. On the other hand, this would be the most stiff of all the choices. Just how stiff this stiffness is I can't say. Some people complain about it. Most people say that it doesn't bother them or they have gotten used to it. They all say that it does not interere with reaching their valves.

There is a third option that I didn't know about until I spoke to DUI. I am starting to lean in this direction now. When you get a Signature Series 350, you can get them to put the overlay on it from any of their designs. This means that you can buy a 350, and then get them to put a cordura overlay on it that covers the shoulders and arms, like in the style of the 450. http://www.dui-online.com/design/index.html. That way, the area that I am most concerned about will be protected while there would be no stiffness issue in the suit at all. I can also get DUI to add CF200 to the crotch area, to reinforce for scootering.

In the end, the 350 with the cordura overlay would not be completely protected like the 450, but it is a suit that I already know and dive, and I wouldn't be taking a chance on getting something that is too stiff. It seems like the best of both worlds. That is why I am thinking aobut going this route. Of course, the only down side to this suit is that there would still be some risk with any area that isn't covered with the cordura. I haven't cut the legs on my 350 yet, but you know that if I go with this option, that will probably be what will happen the first time I dive it! :-}

What do you think?

Yes... the CLX450 does not have a CF200 bottom, as you found, and as some folks think. As I mentioned I thought it was a nylon (turns out it is poly). The 50/50 DOES have the CF200 bottom, and you could go with the CLX450 overlay on that suit and have a pretty stout suit, and yet still maintain the flexibility.

I just am not sure of the TLS350 with the 450 top.

I think that what it really is boiling down to.... is what you will be using the suit for most of the time. If your TLS350 is still in serviceable condition.... you might want to go with the bullet proof CLX450 cordura top AND bottom, for your wreck diving.

The CLX450 with the top and bottom cordura, will be stiff and heavy. But if you are going to use it for primarily wreck diving.... it would be a good choice. The suit made with all cordura, will be like the Diving Concepts Ultra Flex Pro, which I owned. It was stiff, but I think it has its purpose. The TLS350 is a great suit for all around diving as you know. I think an all cordura suit, would be best suited for say primarily wreck diving.

I know it is a tough choice. Enjoy the ride. If you dive a lot of wrecks, and your TLS350 is still in good shape.... I'd be inclined to say go for the CLX450 in all cordura. I just think for your NON wreck diving.... you might find it less comfortable than the TLS350. The TLS350 as you know.... is so darn light and comfortable.

I'd hold off on pulling the trigger on this, until you sleep on it a few more days. The top of the TLS350 is different than the top on the CLX450, regardless of the overlay. The CLX450 top is just tougher IMO (arms, cuffs, etc..)

Just make sure you go for it... and don't wait TOO long (kid's end up need'n a new pair of shoes or something may pop up). :wink:

Im confused about the crotch wear and tear with the scooter. Obviouly we havent fully utilized our scooter.

Back
Top Bottom