DUI cf200 or Bare xcd2 tech?

DUI CF 200 or Bare XCD2 Tech?

• Bare because-

Votes: 10 52.6%
  • DUI Because-

Votes: 9 47.4%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Potapko

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I currently have the Bare trilam hd tech dry but I am not satisfied. Movement is too restricted. I weigh 175 lbs at 5' 8". I tried the large short and sent it back because I could barely move. Received the XL/S and it was acceptable, or so I thought. It still binds in the crotch and shoulders when I reach back for my valves. I am looking to buy a more flexible crushed or compressed neoprene suit. Looking for reasons to choose one or the other. Is the Bare flexible like the DUI?

Thanks for the help,
JEff

Hi Jeff,
I have had the chance to dive both the DUIcf200 and Bare XCD2. I ended up buying the CF200 Sig. series.....
CF200
  • Made to measure
  • Lots of flexability
  • Bullet proof
XCD2
  • Less flexable
  • Poor fit (I am about the same build as you. L/short and still found it very tight and constrictive)
Yes, the DUI is much more $ but I think it's worth the cost. Some have also stated that they are heavy when wet and take longer to dry. Yeah, so!!! Not a deal breaker unless you are traveling with it (via Air)
Prior to the CF200 I had (And still use for Travel) a Bare ATR Lite.
Hope this helps.

Hi Jeff,
I have had the chance to dive both the DUIcf200 and Bare XCD2. I ended up buying the CF200 Sig. series.....
CF200
  • Made to measure
  • Lots of flexability
  • Bullet proof
XCD2
  • Less flexable
  • Poor fit (I am about the same build as you. L/short and still found it very tight and constrictive)
Yes, the DUI is much more $ but I think it's worth the cost. Some have also stated that they are heavy when wet and take longer to dry. Yeah, so!!! Not a deal breaker unless you are traveling with it (via Air)
Prior to the CF200 I had (And still use for Travel) a Bare ATR Lite.
Hope this helps.

Thank you for this information. It was very helpful. The only reason I would consider the bare is because of the cost. I love my Bare wetsuit but have had nothing but bad experience with the drysuits.

Jeff,

Bare XCD2

I own both the Bare Trilam HD Tech and the XCD2 Tech, and I dove the CF200 at a Dog Days.

It was the Dog Day dive in the CF200 that sold me on dry diving – and don’t get me wrong –the CF200 is a great suit – but I ended up with 2 Bares.

The way I describe it is that DUI is the Harley of the diving world – you basically get a great product but you pay a whole lot extra to be “in the club”. The Bare suits are just way better on the price performance scale – same quality/performance as the DUI at a much lower price. Again, the CF200 (in fact any DUI product) is a great product, but I just didn’t see paying the extra price for basically the same quality suit. (Disclaimer – when I do get that big raise/bonus/promotion I will probably go out and buy a DUI – it really is a cool club – the food is better and the women are prettier.)

My first purchase was the XDC2 – I found it to be very flexible and very comfortable – the thing is bulletproof and very easy to dive and it is toasty! However – I dive mostly Texas lakes and I travel with it, so I really didn’t need the extra insulating power of the compressed neo XCD2, plus I wanted to gain the weight/drying advantages of a Trilam.

I now dive the Bare Trilam HD Tech. Like your experience – it is much more restrictive/less flexible that the XCD2 but for me it hasn’t proven to be a problem.

So – if your goal is to gain a more flexible/comfortable suit – I would go with the Bare XCD2 – the gain is in moving from the Trilam to the neo.

The Bare XCD2 that I bought was custom cut, they called it "made to measure". I just switched from a Trilam for the same reasons you mentioned, I still have it, but for my money although Trilams are lighter and dry fast, which is nice, the compressed neoprene just dives better,. a bit warmer, and assuming it fits right, a lot more streamlined. I think you'll be happy moving from Trilam to Neo.. I definitely am.

The Bare XCD2 that I bought was custom cut, they called it "made to measure". I just switched from a Trilam for the same reasons you mentioned, I still have it, but for my money although Trilams are lighter and dry fast, which is nice, the compressed neoprene just dives better,. a bit warmer, and assuming it fits right, a lot more streamlined. I think you'll be happy moving from Trilam to Neo.. I definitely am.

My only problem with the Bare Trilam is the lack of flexibility. If i could get that with the compressed neoprene. I would buy it. The DUI is simply so much more expensive it will take a lot to justify it.
thanks,

My only problem with the Bare Trilam is the lack of flexibility. If i could get that with the compressed neoprene. I would buy it. The DUI is simply so much more expensive it will take a lot to justify it.
thanks,

I think the responses so far agree that a trilam suit is less flexible than a neo - and that the XCD2 would provide you the flexibilty that you are looking for. Doesn't that answer your question that the Bare XCD2 neo is a valid alternative to the more expensive DUI neo?

Not until I try it on. But thanks for the response

I think the responses so far agree that a trilam suit is less flexible than a neo - and that the XCD2 would provide you the flexibilty that you are looking for. Doesn't that answer your question that the Bare XCD2 neo is a valid alternative to the more expensive DUI neo?

The CF200 is bullet proof... almost. It's tough as nails and easy to repair if needed. I'm not favorably impressed with the quality of Bare suits to he honest.

I have been very please with Bare Drysuits. I just got a new one in the store and will be buying one for myself soon. I personally like the trilam suits a goot bit. The trilam doesn't stretch but it allows a wide range of temperatures that you can dive in. I can dive my suit in 85 degree water with very light thermals or 40 degree water with heavy thermals. Some of the neoprene suits don't allow this flexibility. A properly fitted trilam suit won't restrict your movements any more than any other suit.

Brent

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom