duckbill exhaust = quieter bubbles?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reefrat

Contributor
Reaction score
It's a long time since I last dived with a double hose reg so I am hoping someone who currently dives one can compare it to a modern reg and share his/her opinion.

Very subjectively- do you think a duckbill exhaust valve forms exhaust bubbles with less noise than a more modern style exhaust valve?

This question relates to my casual musings on how to make scuba more "stealthy", and I guess my general interest in "vintage" equipment is based on a gut feeling that many superior concepts may have been lost in the interest of more cost-effective designs and production lines.

I am not sure it's actually quiter based on audio measurements made at equal distance but from a diver point of view it is since the bubbles are not going around your head. Fish do not seem to be as bothered as much by a DH. If you want stealthy then rebreather is the only way to go.

My observation is that the noise level is about the same, but the location of the noise source makes a difference (to the diver and to fish that we are trying to get very close to).
Some fish I can get very close to, but other will still back off when I exhale. If I stay still, some fish will actually come up to my mask and look in (mostly in fresh water).

I have been thinking about trying a diffuser/ silencer as an "add-on" in some of my regulator projects, but it is on my list of things to do. I know basically the material I want to use, I just have to locate a source. I used to work with Navy sonar equipment over 20 years ago and there was a type of open cell foam that we used to use that I should be able to find something similar.

Hey Luis
Let me know if you find that open cell stuff- that sounds interesting!
I agree with all the comments above and thank you for answering the question in relation to duckbill exhaust valves.
Rather than risk the wrath of the vintage fundamentalists I will discuss any further such procrastinations on another forum.
Thanks again
RR

Hey Luis
Let me know if you find that open cell stuff- that sounds interesting!
I agree with all the comments above and thank you for answering the question in relation to duckbill exhaust valves.
Rather than risk the wrath of the vintage fundamentalists I will discuss any further such procrastinations on another forum.
Thanks again
RR

I would not worry too much about that.

BTW, with a couple of exceptions, I don't dive with a duckbill anymore. I left a duckbill in a couple of regulators, but all my other metal can regulators have duckbill eliminators (DBE). I have not noticed any sound difference from a duckbill or DBE, but the DBE is far more convenient and it performs better than many duckbills. I have some good data that you can see in this link:
Vintage Double Hose ? View topic - DH regulator exhausts flow resistance.

I will post more stuff later.

This past weekend I got to dive my double hose PRAM hoodless for the first time since adding the duck bill eliminator. This is very subjective but I did pay attention for a while and think it was quieter that same regulator with a conventional duckbill. Again very subjective.

With the conventional duckbill I also remember the PRAM sound being comparable to my Sherwoods with the walrus exhaust T.

Keep in mind this is coming from someone that can only hear crickets with 1 ear.:shocked2:

Pete

My observation is that the noise level is about the same, but the location of the noise source makes a difference (to the diver and to fish that we are trying to get very close to).
Some fish I can get very close to, but other will still back off when I exhale. If I stay still, some fish will actually come up to my mask and look in (mostly in fresh water).

I have been thinking about trying a diffuser/ silencer as an "add-on" in some of my regulator projects, but it is on my list of things to do. I know basically the material I want to use, I just have to locate a source. I used to work with Navy sonar equipment over 20 years ago and there was a type of open cell foam that we used to use that I should be able to find something similar.

Upholstery shops that do marine seat cushions use a coarse open cell foam that doesn't hold water.

I wonder if the air conditioner filter mesh would be fine enough to diffuse the flow? Home centers and appliance stores have that by the package.

Pete

Back
Top Bottom