Duck foot -fyi- history

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Those are similar to the fins I buy at the swim store. I cut the blades off leaving about a 3 to 4 inch blade for kick practice laps with a board.

The Super Mews look like a potential scuba fin, the others, look not so much. I wonder where they can be purchased?

N

There seems to be more than a little confusion about the lineage of the Duck Feet...Perhaps the following will clarify

The original Duck Feet were designed and produced by Arthur "Bud" or "Brownie" Brown at two locations. First was in Laguna Beach and the second in Huntington Beach from the mid 1950s to early 1960s. The company was never financially secure

Does anyone have any further information/photos about Arthur Brown? I read somewhere that he moved to Florida, but I'm attempting to do some writing on this topic and would be delighted to find more information about him. Thanks!

Good gosh! do these old threads ever pass on to thread heaven?

Why are you writing ? college ? or possible article? If you quote me I would appreciate - No demand - be giving credit for my contributions to your effort. ( I have had it with all the plagiarism one person should have in a life time

You are a tad late, Dick Bonin who was the co-founder and president of SCUBA Pro prior to being sold to Johnson Wax passed away a few months ago, Dick was a dive professional and a much closer friend of Brownie than I so he possibly could have had the answer as to what became of him.

I suspect with a degree of certainly that he walked away from the dive industry never to return as an employee or a consultant . He just disappeared never to be heard from or seen again.

I some how recall he was a WW11 veteran , therefore If alive I would suspect he woukd be in his 90s .

I fear Not much help but you are just a little late,

SDM

That is unfortunate indeed. My inquiry is two-fold. I am genuinely interested in the beginnings of the swim fin industry and its pioneers. I am also putting together a possible article and would be happy to credit contributions that lead to more clarity/information. Thank you for your help.

That is unfortunate indeed. My inquiry is two-fold. I am genuinely interested in the beginnings of the swim fin industry and its pioneers. I am also putting together a possible article and would be happy to credit contributions that lead to more clarity/information. Thank you for your help.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
American or International :pioneers of fins?

There were numerous contributors and manufactures both American and International prior to Arthur "Brownie" Brown's Duck Foot (Duck Feet?)

What is your starting point in your research ?

Are you going to include fin performance testing ?

Where do you plan on publishing your findings & article ?

good luck

SDM

My tribe always wore the gum rubber Super extra large over WW11 tennis shoes amd on occasion socks as a "diving bootie". (The divers to day don't know what they missed)[/QUOTE:
Oh Yea ! I used a pair of red and white Keds sneakers that I wore out here ( Calif. ) from Pittsburgh with my brown gummy ducks back in 1959.

From the Orange County California Public Libraries archives:
ajaxhelper
ajaxhelper

Duck feet brand diving fins manufactured by the Spearfisherman Company, 7521 Clay Street, Huntington Beach, April 16, 1951 :: OC Stories

Last edited:
Very good research
FYI Ducks were manufactured in two locations first in a small building in Laguna Canyon and the last was this location in Huntington Beach.

Both buildings were some what run down by current standards and certainly would not pass OSHA inspection.

Today both locations are prime real-estate.
SDM

I still use my UDT Ducks as my everyday fins- I have many, many sets of diving fins and they (the Ducks) are all around the best fin I have. The Jet fins are so far down the list, they're hardly worth mentioning - but maybe its just me. I have a new set I quite like as well, Aqua Lung Express. Good fins

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom