Duck feet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr. Bob is alleged to have under development a Force Fin Duck Feet UDT using his snappy urethane. Given the current economy I am not sure that the bank will loan me the money to buy a pair--but---I like the idea.

N

31.jpg

duckfeet.jpg

voitadv.jpg

fins.jpg

69730997_o.jpg

702e_1_sbl.jpg

The King:

69229C754DA54EC48C4C7D323A225652.jpg

5610_1.jpg

N

Oh my God, you mean the jet fin is vintage?? Don't tell the DIR guys....their heads will explode.

Of course it is vintage and Joe and I by quorum voted it fully vintage complaint while standing waist deep in water at Ginnie Springs, SDV. N

Uh, no, the Jet Fin is not vintage :wink: Well, not as vintage--it came out in the 1960s first, and it's first appearance in the USA was not in person, but in the Cousteau film, World Without Sun, and I think that was in the summer of 1963. Once we saw it, we all wanted a pair.

I went to the pool this noon with my duck Feet, and swam with them and also my USD Aqualung. The Duck Feet beat out the Aqualung, not because of power, but comfort. I wore no booties, and the Aqualung was a slightly bigger fin than the Duck Feet. In short, the Aqualung hurt my big toe, and the Duck Feet did not. Not the best comparison, but it was there. Now with FlipperSlippers, that might be a different story. But both fins provided a lot of power, and "springyness."

I like these better than the newer plastic fins as they are consistent over a wide range of temperatures, whereas the newer plastic fins are much stiffer in cold water than in warm water, and consequently changes. The Duck Feet remain the same.

I'll probably put them it the water again tonight, and write some more about them.

John

Unfortunately, with airline problems and weight restrictions, rubber fins are a challenge to carry and the plastic flippers are so light by comparison. N

Unfortunately, with airline problems and weight restrictions, rubber fins are a challenge to carry and the plastic flippers are so light by comparison. N

I recall rubber fins getting much lighter than their predecessors at the turn of 1960s/70s, thanks to improvements in material blending. One of my current favourites is a pair of modern traditional long-bladed natural rubber Escualo Clasica full-foot fins, made in Mexico, and they weigh very little.

Every cloud has its silver lining too. "Thanks" to global warming, we no longer have to fly to tropical destinations to experience warm-water diving. This weekend I've enjoyed some great vintage snorkelling in the tepid North Sea off a beautiful soft, sandy beach in the North East of England, just eight miles from my home. The skin diving pioneers of the 1950s favoured their own home waters, particularly in Southern California. Perhaps the fear of hurricanes, earthquakes or terrorism abroad, not forgetting the credit crunch, will lead people to rediscover the delights of their own backyard and avoid the hassle - and environmental repercussions - of air travel altogether. Then people can swim with their own choice of fins rather than the airline's.

I have two pairs of Duck Feet, and I looked closely at them. One is marked on top, "Giant U.D.T. Model," and the other is marked "THE SPEARFISHERMAN." The latter is in better shape than the former, and I got it last year with the purchase of an Aqualung Aquamatic regulator. This pair came with the regulator. (More on the regulator in a different thread.) Anyway, The Spearfisherman actually has a bit thicker and wider heel strap than the Giant U.D.T. model. I like both of them in the water. 'Just thought I'd drop those two bits of information.

SeaRat

When it rains it pours:

Just picked these up for $6 at a flea market. They are more "lived in" than the Spearfishermans (small nicks and scrapes) but the rubber is good with no cracking.

Voit Duck Feet
Custom model
X Lg.

And John, the heel strap is smaller and thinner on these too than on the Spearfishermans model.

Picture086.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom