Duck feet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is interesting write up, but If I may make a couple of observations.

The parts were not "made of gold"; they were just gold plated (brass parts) instead of chrome plated, etc.

Also, none of the parts (that I am aware of) are chrome plated steel, some are chrome plated brass and a few are stainless steel (with no plating, such as the springs, horse shoe lever, horse shoe support, etc.), but not chrome plated steel.

This may be considered minor details, but I am sure you wouldn't want to publish something with this kind of mistakes.

Another comment and this is kind of a mistake, but commonly accepted is the term anti-magnetic. Technically the correct term would be non-magnetic, meaning that it doesn't have a magnetic signature (or an insignificant one). The term anti-magnetic is very commonly used, but I personally think that it implies a physical phenomenon that is not correct. It is not counter acting a magnetic field. I realize that the term has become acceptable, but IMHO non-magnetic would be the correct term.

Luis,

Thanks, I'll make those changes to my manuscript. I wrote that about 12 years ago, and it was from my memories of that time.

John

You're not the only Navy man who's heard some non-mag parts are "made of gold". I've heard at least one other say so too, so the Navy probably started the rumor!

I'd be interested in your book as well Searat. If you need help proofing it, let me know.

Well, had a "roll my eyes" day at the LDS when I asked if they could help service the valve on my new old tank.

"Take it and dump it in the scrap metal heap,"
"No one will hydro it,"
"diving that thing would be dangerous,"
"you can't get parts anymore,"
"no one will fill it,"
etc...

It would have been completely comical if I was also saddened by the fact that I like(d) the owner and don't appreciate the BS. There is a difference between it couldn't be done and it wouldn't be done (by him). I just have a bad taste in my mouth about the encounter now. Worse was the fact that he told me he gave the same advice to a lady with old manifolded doubles a few weeks ago and she took it :shakehead:

That's all, just had to vent. I already have the pdf file for rebuilding the valve and which parts to order and have found a place that will hydro the tank for less than half what the LDS would charge so I guess all he did today was to talk himself out of that (and probably future) business.

I should probably hang out in back of the store and go through the garbage regularly; I'd probably come across some no good double hoses and worn out ST72's that way.

I have came across some good deals looking around the back of the lds,I picked up a US divers doubles back pack,a j valve doubles manifold,two sets of bands and some other odds and ends for 40 dollars. All was in like new condition,I guess his regular customers do not have much interest in that old stuff,I am still waiting on someone to bring in a double hose regulator for proper disposal.

Well, had a "roll my eyes" day at the LDS when I asked if they could help service the valve on my new old tank.

"Take it and dump it in the scrap metal heap,"
"No one will hydro it,"
"diving that thing would be dangerous,"
"you can't get parts anymore,"
"no one will fill it,"
etc...

It would have been completely comical if I was also saddened by the fact that I like(d) the owner and don't appreciate the BS. There is a difference between it couldn't be done and it wouldn't be done (by him). I just have a bad taste in my mouth about the encounter now. Worse was the fact that he told me he gave the same advice to a lady with old manifolded doubles a few weeks ago and she took it :shakehead:

That's all, just had to vent. I already have the pdf file for rebuilding the valve and which parts to order and have found a place that will hydro the tank for less than half what the LDS would charge so I guess all he did today was to talk himself out of that (and probably future) business.

I should probably hang out in back of the store and go through the garbage regularly; I'd probably come across some no good double hoses and worn out ST72's that way.

Now you are beginning to see why some of us are a bit ornery. :shakehead:

Rebuild the valve yourself, print off your own VIP stickers and take the tank straight to a hydro facility rather than subcontracting it to an ignorant retail dive store.

These people see anything that does not come from a new sale as a threat to their being. Thus their open hostility which of course gets transfered to the scuba community at large.

More than once I have dove with people who don't know me and they go on and on about how my old junk will kill me. Often their new equipment malfunctions, they cannot equalize, they forgot their mask, they don't feel good, whatever, meanwhile me an my old gear make the dive. You would think at some point folks would realize, it is not the gear and that well maintained old gear is as good if not better than what they just paid full MSRP for from a retail dive store. At least it is proven.

N

The funniest part is when shops do that, they are just screwing themselves. Half the reason I learned to service my own regulators, rebuild my own valves, and oxygen clean my own stuff was because every time I went to one they would try that old used-car salesman bit about "You need new stuff". Idiot, I've rebuilt more regulators than you have, and that crap does not work on me. Now you go sell some noob a fancy titanium regulator for 1400 bucks while I dive one I paid 20 bucks for on Ebay that is Navy approved, and is good to 190FSW. Do people wonder why dive shops go under all the time?

I think we have all experienced this, but I did want to take this opportunity to plug one of the vintage friendly dive shops, i.e. Leisure Time Dive and Ski in Chattanooga Tn. owned by Bob Weaver. James, maybe NAVED could compile and publish a list of these shops. They deserve a big 'Atta Boy!

Yeah, it is nice to be able to go to a shop and get a tank with bushings filled or dive without a BC without being fussed at. I did a dive in NC once and a Lifeguard told me if he had been on duty he would "yank me". I told him what he could yank...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom