DIR- Generic dual bladder wings...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why would I participate on something does not interest me?
So does this thread interest you? Ok, I trust you.

Let's put it like this: saying "you should know" is not constructive; it is as simple as that. Now, I have no idea why you would like to participate in a thread with a non-constructive approach, but it is what you are doing. Since you look like a reasonable person here on SB, I thought it was good to point out that you aren't being very constructive in this thread because maybe you weren't seeing it, and you would prefer to change your approach. If, on the contrary, you want to continue with that approach... well, do it :)

Constructive?
Criticism is NOT constructive?
The question of dual bladder/bungee is on GUE basic training.
I hate to see driver changes lane without giving indicator first. Totally unacceptable to me.
We are here to give our own opinion no more/less.

The manual doesn't go into "why" of many parts of the equipment config.

I'm glad you kept yours. Consider reading it again.
The manual did/does explain why dual bladder/bungee are NOT acceptable. The OP did not ask or the instructor did not elaborate the detail. But the wordings in the manual said it very clearly.
I am NOT GUE trained.

The manual did/does explain why dual bladder/bungee are NOT acceptable. The OP did not ask or the instructor did not elaborate the detail. But the wordings in the manual said it very clearly.
I am NOT GUE trained.
Which manual? I've been through 6 GUE courses and sat in on others, and I don't recall ever seeing the reasons for this stuff printed anywhere.

Constructive?
Criticism is NOT constructive?
Not like that.

Constructive would be: "you should know, because of some reasons, but anyway, this is the answer"
On the other hand, this isn't constructive: "you should know"

I hate to see driver changes lane without giving indicator first. Totally unacceptable to me.
You are right. People who do not know and then make mistakes are annoying.

But did he in fact use double bladders? If he did, he would be like a driver changing lane without giving an indicator (at least, within a certain set of rules... but the comparison is a bit stretched in my opinion)

Maybe he always dives trilaminate, so he is not breaking any rules.

We are here to give our own opinion no more/less.
As I said, I just pointed out that you aren't being constructive. Feel free to continue that way if you want.

I said what I had to, so there's no point to continue being OT :)

Which manual? I've been through 6 GUE courses and sat in on others, and I don't recall ever seeing the reasons for this stuff printed anywhere.
It was one of those produced at least 15 yrs ago.

My daughter started diving recently. Of course, I outfitted her with the usual stuff. The only thing that is different for her is that she is on a 40" hose on her primary reg. Even with that, I think it is not necessarily un-DIR. I kind of felt like teaching her how to manage a longhose this early in her diving might be much. Anyway, when we dive, mostly in Hawaii so far, she is basically on "trust me" dives. I mean, she can donate gas if needed but I suspect she is not yet capable of planning and executing something like shore dives from beginning to end. And she surely does not yet have the instinct to see the beginnings of a fuster cluck before it snowballs. She was actually pissed at me after one dive when I saw another diver struggling and intervened. My daughter thought it was the DM's job to do that and that, as usual, "dad is sticking his nose in other people's business."

Without the mentality, the gear is just gear. In fact, It might even be argued, what is the point of a longhose unless you are team oriented? Or maybe to put it a different way, it is entirely possible that, depending on how you approach diving, DIR gear might actually be the wrong configuration.

Anyway, none of that is a critique of you or how you dive, I am just reacting to the notion of DIR compliant as it relates to gear.

Well, assuming that she likes diving and keeps at it, it's probably better to teach her arguably optimal gear configurations from the beginning, than teaching her something else and then having to redo it later, right?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom