DIR- Generic dual bladder wings...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Which manual? I've been through 6 GUE courses and sat in on others, and I don't recall ever seeing the reasons
The manual did/does explain why dual bladder/bungee are NOT acceptable. The OP did not ask or the instructor did not elaborate the detail. But the wordings in the manual said it very clearly.
I am NOT GUE trained.
Can you quote the reasons for not using a dual bladder as it’s given in an official GUE publication? I seem to recall it being briefly mentioned in the old fundamentals book but not explained in a way that convinced me drysuits were any better an option. I’m more convinced now because of AJs explanation. But if you could provide me even a page number that would be great since you memorized every word.

Well, assuming that she likes diving and keeps at it, it's probably better to teach her arguably optimal gear configurations from the beginning, than teaching her something else and then having to redo it later, right?

My hope is she continues to do it the way I do it. But you know how teenagers are - sometimes they want to forge their own path just so as not give the appearance their parents had a good idea. I'm dreading the day she asks for a pink and purple jacket BC to replace her halcyon BP/W.

I can't complain though. Diving is the one "family" activity we do together where she actually is very engaged and enthusiastic. Other stuff, its like pulling teeth.

As to whether it is optimal, I think so but I am coming from a "strong buddy" approach to diving. If you have a "casual buddy" or "I'm on my own" approach, I don't know if this kit is optimized for you. Others who take those approaches would be better suited to comment.

Can you quote the reasons for not using a dual bladder as it’s given in an official GUE publication? I seem to recall it being briefly mentioned in the old fundamentals book but not explained in a way that convinced me drysuits were any better an option. I’m more convinced now because of AJs explanation. But if you could provide me even a page number that would be great since you memorized every word.
from the fundamental of better diving:

pg 86.
Divers using dual BCs have experienced an array of problems; these include increased drag, additional task loading and uncontrolled inflation. There is never a need for “redundant buoyancy” in a properly balanced rig. A small leak from the inflator can continually add air to an unaware diver’s BC. As the diver becomes more positive, s/he will usually try to empty his/her primary BC, all the while remaining unaware of the secondary inflation. If the diver is unable to correct this problem quickly enough, s/he may find her/himself at the surface experiencing any number of problems. The DIR approach avoids the use of dual BCs, and instead stresses proper balance between BC, cylinders, weighting and exposure suit.

pg106
As we mentioned earlier, trying to solve the weighting problem by resorting to a double BC system creates more problems than it solves because, while a diver is VERY unlikely to ever have a BC failure, the diver who opts for a double BC system will always be victimized by increased stress and task loading. Furthermore, should this system fail, the latter diver will be in substantially more trouble than the one who, from the outset, had configured their system to survive a loss of buoyancy. 20

Just do one of crazy color combos you can special order from halcyon

I stole this from a GUE friend on facebook but very relevant ;-)

I like the new trend in providing divegear in many colours
🙂

I have some suggestions for other wing colours for your consideration that might be popular:
Charcoal
Oil spill
Black is the new black
Pitch
Light failure
Ebony
Midnight
Jet black
Siltout
Obsidian
Soot
Raven
Coal
Men in Black
Crow
Black lives matter

While never asking questions and not adapting gear to real world needs might be a GUE dogma, the rest of us normal folks don't have that character flaw.
I shouldn't respond to a troll... but hey bud... if you are up to it... I'm a lot in Croatia, you can take your wetsuit, doublebladder and your lack of dogmas or GUE understanding with you and join me for a dive. It will be fun! I might have to convince my Croatian buddy and shop owner to allow you to dive with us, because he's seen too many of his country men do crazy stuff (you know like diving air in a wetsuit with a double bladder for a bounce dive to 70m just to tell everybody they went to 70m)... but I'm sure you are not one of those guys.

Cheers!

PS: and now serious: You would be surprised how many GUE divers are just regular folk, doing dives.... standardising for big dives, but diving with everybody for "little" dives.
PPS: I don't get why there is 9 pages of double bladder stuff... but hey must be a slow season.

I shouldn't respond to a troll... but hey bud... if you are up to it... I'm a lot in Croatia, you can take your wetsuit, doublebladder and your lack of dogmas or GUE understanding with you and join me for a dive. It will be fun! I might have to convince my Croatian buddy and shop owner to allow you to dive with us, because he's seen too many of his country men do crazy stuff (you know like diving air in a wetsuit with a double bladder for a bounce dive to 70m just to tell everybody they went to 70m)... but I'm sure you are not one of those guys.

Cheers!

PS: and now serious: You would be surprised how many GUE divers are just regular folk, doing dives.... standardising for big dives, but diving with everybody for "little" dives.
PPS: I don't get why there is 9 pages of double bladder stuff... but hey must be a slow season.
Actually I ditched the batman wing, but I'm all about converting you folks back to the sensible side of diving :p

It’s easy to feign ignorance if the fence-sitter in question has no actual experience in using a dual bladder wing at extreme depth. In the build up to Nuno Gomes’ world record attempt, he did encounter a problem where his dual bladder wing prevented his probable demise. Bear in mind that some dual bladder wings have the backup inflator situated in various positions which makes it impossible to reconnect hoses after disconnecting them—use team or diver discretion.

Adept technical divers think deep before they find themselves in too deep.

Just do one of crazy color combos you can special order from halcyon
It’s not the funky colors that have me worried. It’s the jacket bc.

It’s easy to feign ignorance if the fence-sitter in question has no actual experience in using a dual bladder wing at extreme depth. In the build up to Nuno Gomes’ world record attempt, he did encounter a problem where his dual bladder wing prevented his probable demise. Bear in mind that some dual bladder wings have the backup inflator situated in various positions which makes it impossible to reconnect hoses after disconnecting them—use team or diver discretion.

Adept technical divers think deep before they find themselves in too deep.
While I respect the dude (Nuno that is), his kind of diving, meaning setting depth records for the sake of it, is not something I care for or wish to emulate. I rather look at dudes and dudettes that use science to teach us new things underwater (geology in underwater caves) or discovering new wrecks and then documenting them.

Also this is totally not a GUE thing.. most divers that do the kind of dives I do are in fairly standardised setups (meaning drysuit, hog rigging, and doubles or rebreather). Yes lots of discussion possible on loads of topics from deco gasses, deco model, team bailout and gas planning, 80 percent or pure O2, stages left or righty richy lefty leany, to how to tie a knot and all these kind of minutae ... but honestly double bladder wings is not one of them (shrugs shoulders). It's more of an internet meme.

Unless you are diving in tropical water with no thermoclines (where overheating using a drysuit is possible) everybody is in a drysuit in any case (for me that's water temp until 24-25°C)... so why bother with the double bladder dingies.

If I see someone rocking those doublebladder oversized 90L OMS thingies, well props to them, but that categorises them in my mind as recreational divers with a big ego (big fish in a small pond kinda thing)... that's what an internet meme will do to your thought process :cool: :p

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom