DSW-MEGADIVE PARTY, Version 1.2

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DEEPSEAWOLF

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have just put in for Halloween weekend! This will be the planned weekend for the next DSW-Megadive!
Here are my concerns/considerations for the weekend...

-Need good diveability (at least 20' viz)
-Easilly accessible (no 3 mile hikes to dive site wearing gear)
-Activities nearby for weather scrubbage (tourist stuff)
-Activities for Bubblewatchers & Kids on site or nearby
-Camping is a plus/NOT required (good meeting place is)
-When handling the Nuclear detonator... OOPS that one goes in my scooter safety folder... forget you ever saw that!
-Activities for all level divers is a plus (tooth hunt, reef dive, spearfishing for tourists... what's my bag limit again?)
-I would like dives to be shore capable as not everyone can afford a boat fee.

NOW, considering all of this and that I am planning on getting full force back into diving, I am looking at a possible Keys area party. This would unfortunately mean for my family, an 8+ hour drive, but for that kind of dive environment, it would be worth it. Venice is a possible, Then again, so is a panhandle party. The only place I have tanked, has been the springs and Santa Fe River, so my site knowledge is very limited. The floor is open for suggestions.
Kendo-Overlord of the Dance

I have received the suggestion of making this another Central Florida party, but at a local State Park for camping. One that is centrally located near a number of dive sites. Manatee Springs State Park has come up as an option. There are a LARGE number of spring dives in the area, and Saturday is usually VACANT of divers. Sunday is when the line is at the gate at opening. For Sunday, we could plan on meeting at the campsite, then heading to another location. They also have two large pavillions that may be reserved for groups. Playground for the kids, and two springs, (one a sinkhole).
Crystal River is another Mid-Florida suggestion. The problem there is the need for a boat to get divers to the sites.

Hey Ken, Glad you are working on this trip! since Halloween falls on a Sunday, this just might be doable. I wouldn't recommend the keys at all. All the diving is via boat only (reef is 5+ miles offshore). Central Florida is probably the best, followed by Crystal River, then Venice. SE, while awesome for diving, doesn't have great camping anywhere near the ocean, but there are lots of motel rooms. Maybe something like what Colin found in Pompano (but with a reef actually offshore LOL) for the Beach clean up would be good.

Holloween weekend every year. Usually at Ginnie.
We have a underwater pupkin carving contest with prizes and everthing. We do it at ginnie cause you can dive after dark and we even let the none divers participate by sitting in the water and carving the pupkin under the water. we do it in the basin outside the ballroom.
Maybe we can set something up at the same time. The manatees are at crystal river then too. not to mention the central location for everything else. Let me know.
Fred

Sounds like a fun alternative to the normal Halloween activities. Tentativly count us in as 4 divers and 1 small snorkeler.

Doing Southeast diving wouldn't be that expensive if we a) arranged a group rate with a local hotel down there, or b) received a discount on the room/boat from a local charter down there (in exchange for bringing so much business, and c) piled up 4 or more per room, splitting the already-reduced cost in half or even quarters.

It may be well worth it - one group of divers does a couple of shore dives off something like Lauderdale By the Sea while the other group books an entire charter boat for a morning dive. Then, that afternoon or the next morning, the groups rotate.
Plus, one night, we could book a boat or two to take some folks out for a night dive.

This way, all of the divers would have a chance to do drift dives over wrecks and reefs, and even shore dives and a night dive,.. all in one trip. And it would be cheaper doing it as a group than it would ever be if we went down separately.
I'm sure we could get MASSIVE deals if we talked to a couple of the charters we were interested in and told them we were shopping for the lowest price and that we're guaranteeing enough bodies to FILL his boats for two days.
Same with the hotel.
All the different dive spots are so close to each other down there, so we'd have lots of choices. And there are always packages for groups.
Every one of the dives would be unique and interesting whereas Ginnie Springs.... meh... neat to see once but you can get bored of that pretty quick, plus won't it be crowded with all these divers?

Just my .02 cents

cra2:
Doing Southeast diving wouldn't be that expensive if we a) arranged a group rate with a local hotel down there, or b) received a discount on the room/boat from a local charter down there (in exchange for bringing so much business, and c) piled up 4 or more per room, splitting the already-reduced cost in half or even quarters.

It may be well worth it - one group of divers does a couple of shore dives off something like Lauderdale By the Sea while the other group books an entire charter boat for a morning dive. Then, that afternoon or the next morning, the groups rotate.
Plus, one night, we could book a boat or two to take some folks out for a night dive.

This way, all of the divers would have a chance to do drift dives over wrecks and reefs, and even shore dives and a night dive,.. all in one trip. And it would be cheaper doing it as a group than it would ever be if we went down separately.
I'm sure we could get MASSIVE deals if we talked to a couple of the charters we were interested in and told them we were shopping for the lowest price and that we're guaranteeing enough bodies to FILL his boats for two days.
Same with the hotel.
All the different dive spots are so close to each other down there, so we'd have lots of choices. And there are always packages for groups.
Every one of the dives would be unique and interesting whereas Ginnie Springs.... meh... neat to see once but you can get bored of that pretty quick, plus won't it be crowded with all these divers?

Just my .02 cents

Nothing like setting all this up and then 90% of the people don't show because the weather decides to be bad. At the spring it don't matter much. You won't have to stay and just dive Ginnie.
You can travel all over the place. There are several places to go.
and everyone that wants to can come back and do the pumkin thing. You don't even have to stay there.

The Lady GO Diver holds 28 divers. If you contact Pavan the owner of Dixie Divers & The Lady Go, he might give you a good rate if you book the whole boat. I know that they do whole boat charters especially since October will be past dive season in SE Florida. The shop there also has all of the gear and air/nitrox etc that you might need. I don't know about hotels and rates in Deerfield Beach where Dixie Divers is located but you might check with the hotel that you all used for the reef cleanup in Pompano Beach its just down the road a couple of miles.

Hubby & I would be interested in joining you all if we don't have to work. Won't know my work scedule til Oct. 26th.

Zuzanne

fgray1:
Nothing like setting all this up and then 90% of the people don't show

that's why you take deposits ahead of time.

"because the weather decides to be bad."

rain is rain, whether you're at the springs or on a boat.
lightning will keep you out of the water at either place.

"You won't have to stay and just dive Ginnie. You can travel all over the place."

a) noone wants to drive hours to get there, only to drive more hours to every dive.
b) where are these other places? I'm a newbie so I don't know. But the few trip-reports I've read of the springs up there (including Ginnie), can be summarized as, "worth seeing once. wouldn't go back unless I was testing gear or desperate to get wet."

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom