DSS Wing Replacement Suggestions Please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Those get the closest, but that vertical strap with the grommets would keep from being able to push the cam band thru without unthreading the band....
that is why i said "If not continuous loop cam bands"....

I'm basically saying the ones specifically intended to be opened with a metal hook and loop in the band (Highland, ScubaPro, etc.)... I guess the term is "quick open/release"...

1637707627597.png

you are giving me reason to exit the conversation...

Travel XT will require a STA for roll control as they do not have integrated roll control.
Thanks very much for this point. If that is the case I might get the STA. Quick question, will any style STA fit or is there a brand/style compatibility to watch out for?

Thanks very much for this point. If that is the case I might get the STA. Quick question, will any style STA fit or is there a brand/style compatibility to watch out for?
All STA's should have the standard 11 inch bolt spacing.

I have a friend who has a DSS set up he might want to sell. It's a stainless plate and the 20lb wing. It was used for only a few dives about 10 years ago and then stored clean and dry. I haven't seen it but my guess is that it's in close to perfect condition. I'm curious about what a fair price might be for something like that?

He did bring his regulator to me recently (same situation, dove a few times 10 years ago, then stored) and it worked fine. The MK25 holds IP perfectly, the D400 had a slight leak which I adjusted out, and the R190 worked perfect. If these things are taken care of they can go a really long time between rebuilds.

Travel XT will require a STA for roll control as they do not have integrated roll control.

The need for roll control/STA is overblown in almost all the discussion it is brought up. Although the Dive Rite wings don't have it, it is totally not needed.

My wife and I have been diving Dive Rite Voyager XT wings on standard backplates for a handful of years. I have a few hundred dives on mine...I attach my wing to my plate with a pair of book screws, and attach my tank with a pair of cam straps, same for my wife. Neither of us have ever had our tanks roll out of place or come loose before, during, or after a dive....and we have never soaked our cam straps before setting up our gear either.

-Z

The need for roll control/STA is overblown in almost all the discussion it is brought up. Although the Dive Rite wings don't have it, it is totally not needed.

My wife and I have been diving Dive Rite Voyager XT wings on standard backplates for a handful of years. I have a few hundred dives on mine...I attach my wing to my plate with a pair of book screws, and attach my tank with a pair of cam straps, same for my wife. Neither of us have ever had our tanks roll out of place or come loose before, during, or after a dive....and we have never soaked our cam straps before setting up our gear either.

-Z
our experiences differ, my travel wings do not behave well on my standard backplates *DSS plates are OK for some reason*. They slip off and go sideways. Never fall out or anything, just cocked off to the side a bit which is annoying. The soft stabilizer plates fixed it for me.

I have a friend who has a DSS set up he might want to sell. It's a stainless plate and the 20lb wing. It was used for only a few dives about 10 years ago and then stored clean and dry. I haven't seen it but my guess is that it's in close to perfect condition. I'm curious about what a fair price might be for something like that?

He did bring his regulator to me recently (same situation, dove a few times 10 years ago, then stored) and it worked fine. The MK25 holds IP perfectly, the D400 had a slight leak which I adjusted out, and the R190 worked perfect. If these things are taken care of they can go a really long time between rebuilds.

I'm looking for a travel wing to fit my DSS BP, does your friend still have this setup for sale?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom