DSS versus Apeks wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was using a SS bp. But if I was going to purchase and use an al 80 and dive in tropical waters with perhaps just a skin, it appears that an Al bp would be a better choice. Right?

Add up the stuff that doesn't float, and add up the stuff that does float and adjust until they match.:wink:

Tobin

I dive a Halcyon and find it very comfortable. When searching the makes and models - I have to agree with a previous poster - OMS was the first one eliminated. I do not see any reason for elastic cords running all over the wing. The only time I have to manually squeeze a wing to get air out of it is on the surface when packing it away in the bag. Did they forget that water pressure is all around the bladder? Just seems overly complex.

Now my wife is planning to move to BP/W and I am evaluating DSS and Halcyon. Honestly I am leaning toward DSS. I think the quality is as good or better and the customer service from DSS sounds stellar. I have only purchased the wrist mounts for my gauges so far from DSS but they worked exactly as designed and arrived lightning fast.

I am interested in a little input from others on this point though... My Halcyon has the MC pack on it and I have never dove without. It is the way it came when I purchased. It is very comfortable and I wonder if the MC pack is helping in that comfort when carrying the loaded rig above the surface. I don't see that DSS offers any covering like that. Would be interested to hear others input on this.

The MC Pack is not helping with comfort. It's use is really only as a storage space.

I dive an APEKS BP/W and am happy with it. Unfortunately, it doesn't come ready to dive (by my standards) without a few mods:
DRings are too heavy. They'd likely support a ton, but the heavy gauge make clipping harder than it should be.

Elastic keepers on the shoulder straps are a bit too tight. I replaced with inner tube.

Inflator hose is too long. I replaced with a hose about 8" shorter.

I'd rather have a bladder with a cover, such as Tobin makes, but the LDS doesn't sell DSS and I have to dive what the LDS sells.

I bought an Apeks BP/W with the surelock pockets. It is what my LDS sells and I figured that it was time to support them. I've gotten a few other things used/online recently and the extra 20% or so is something they are welcome to. Also, they're putting in a lot of time sizing it to me and helping me decide if I want to make any mods/add retractors, etc.

might be I'd be happier with another wing, but the 32lb donut looks fine and really -- if its horrible I can find a used wing I like, there are no shortage on here or CL.

Back
Top Bottom