DSS versus Apeks wings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Got my DSS all set up last night and can't wait to take it to the pool this weekend! My question now is weight belt or attach quick release pockets to the harness belt? Which is better and why?

Thanks Tobin for the help!

Julie

First I'd suggest you determine how much ballast you really need in addition to your plate, harness, regulator and cylinder. You are likely to find it's less than you were using before.

How to carry any additional ballast? Get a belt. Weight belts are widely available, and inexpensive.

Keep in mind that trying to mount 100% of your ballast to your rig has several drawbacks.

It makes the rig heavy to move on land

It makes in water donning difficult, as your buoyant exposure suit with zero ballast is hard to manage in the water.

Having 100% of your ballast on your rig may require a larger wing.

Tobin

I'll be at Storm Sat and Sun if you decide to come up.

I wish I could - - I can't do Saturday and have already planned to work with one of the instructors at the pool on Sunday. It's not too far away from me and I would love to dive with you the next time you are there or even anywhere in this area. Do you ever go to Dutch Springs?

Julie

Have not gotten to Dutch yet but would like to this year. It's about a 5 hour drive from me and it would need to be one of those get there friday evening and come home sunday. My wife would also need handicapped accessible facilities.

So having followed this thread and considering going to a BP/W, I tried a halcyon unit at a demo day from extreme exposure and was impressed by the customization of the unit. I was diving w/a 3mm suit and needed not add'l weight. If I was diving w/a skin or shorty, wouldn't the unit be overweighted from the start?

So having followed this thread and considering going to a BP/W, I tried a halcyon unit at a demo day from extreme exposure and was impressed by the customization of the unit. I was diving w/a 3mm suit and needed not add'l weight. If I was diving w/a skin or shorty, wouldn't the unit be overweighted from the start?

Total weighting depends on the buoyancy of the diver's exposure suit, the buoyancy of the cylinder used and of course the inherent buoyancy or ballast provided by the diver's "rig".

If we assume that you are near neutral, and are using a dive kin that's only maybe 1 lbs positive, you are going to want your empty cylinder + rig to about -1 lbs.

A lightweight back plate and harness is about -2 lbs, and a reg is about -2, but an empty al 80 is +4 lbs.

OTOH, if you used a Stainless Back plate instead of a lightweight plate (aluminum or kydex) you would be about 4 lbs over weighted. Substitute a negative steel tank for the al 80 an you are now ~10 lbs overweighted.

If you know the buoyancy of your suit, and know the buoyancy of the commonly available cylinders adjusting ballast and or rig components gets pretty simple.

Tobin

I was using a SS bp. But if I was going to purchase and use an al 80 and dive in tropical waters with perhaps just a skin, it appears that an Al bp would be a better choice. Right?

i would look at oms

I was using a SS bp. But if I was going to purchase and use an al 80 and dive in tropical waters with perhaps just a skin, it appears that an Al bp would be a better choice. Right?

I don't dive in a skin, even in warm water. A 3mm is pretty much bare minimal for me (longer dives, repetitive dives, etc). As such, even with an AL80, a SS backplate is perfect. With a can light, I need no additional weighting. If you are sure that you will stick with a dive skin, sure, get an AL or Kydex backplate.

i would look at oms

Care to expand on your (extensive?) positive experience with OMS gear? I've only had the chance to use BP/Ws from four or five manufactures, so certainly haven't tried them all, and wouldn't want to make any sweeping claims, but I'd personally rate the OMS gear dead last in my experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom