DSS (Deep Sea Supply)---Warning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Perhaps Tobin is at a place in his life where he has all the business he will ever want or need. If so, he can afford to continue to be perceived as an obnoxious business owner, even by some people that do business with him. However, if he has any intention of growing his business, he should realize that his attitude will likely lose more business than gain. From reputation on SB, Tobin apparently builds a very good product, but he is not the only one that has similar reputations for build quality. When I look for a supplier for any product I will be using, build quality is only one of the criteria I evaluate. Equally important are attitude, professionalism, and responsiveness to my needs (customer service). I suspect there are a lot more potential customers that think as I do about customer relations, than are willing to do business with a cranky or unresponsive business owner.

I buy my equipment from brand names such as Atomic, Scubapro, Aqualung that NEVER attack me when I contact them for service, even after warranty expires, nor would they ever shutdown outside legal holidays and they never insult me or call me names or refuse to sell me their products just because they don't like me. These brand name companies are true professionals with a very long history in the dive business.

Last edited:
Actually, Tobin unfriended me on Facebook, so that's how that goes.

I feel badly for Tobin. He's a frustrated taxpayer living in California and moving to Nevada in the hopes of a better life. Whatever, we all live the American Dream. He's moving his whole factory by himself, with a trailer and pickup truck, and trying to get restarted. maybe he had a bad day. Maybe he had a hundred flat tires. Maybe a hundred things happened, and I can assure you, there are days I answered the phone when I wish I hadn't.

But Tobin's website is very clear. He is out of business from April 20 for 6 months or more. No income. Guy calls with a brand new wing that's 8 months out of warranty with a pinch flat. Had he had a better day, Tobin would have gone to the box with the wings in it and grabbed a wing and sent it on. But that box is in Nevada, or it's in California, or maybe he isn't quite sure where it is. It's somewhere, though. But it isn't where Tobin is. So there is not one single solitary thing he can do for the OP. Who isn't asking for anything, or maybe he is, I don't know, but he called. So he wants something. From someone who isn't in business. And can't do anything for him.

So the Op comes to ScubaBoard for the express purpose of harming Tobin. Nothing else, just revenge. Now, Tobin has never been friendly. He isn't your friend or chum, he's a manufacturer of dive equipment who shouldn't pick up the phone. But what Tobin is is helpful. Unless he can't be, which his website clearly states.

So get your wing from Mike at DRIS or Mark at DGE. They are very nice guys, and that's where I get my gear. I buy a lot of it. Mark is always helpful and has a wealth of knowledge. But Tobin is who Tobin is, and it's not productive to pet the dog who bites and then complain that the dog bit you.

You hit the proverbial nail on the head Frank, with regards to California. Businesses and people are fleeing the State. it has gotten ridiculous here :( Ironically, this out today, America's Top States for Business 2018: The full list California, with one of the biggest economies n the world, you would think it would rank better. I'll go on record and blame current political climate here.

I need to spend more time with you guys! You either read and understood my post and made an insightful comment or you made sure I was made to look stupid, just like the owner of DSS does. Either way, I appreciate the input.

First, I would like to apologize for my scathing thread against the owner of DSS. I was frustrated with how I was treated when I try so hard to treat people with a higher standard and give them the benefit of the doubt. He/it is what he/it is and that is not likely to change unless he/it changes, which is unlikely.

I grew up in the area DSS has had it's business. I went to the local schools/colleges and knew wonderful, extremely intellectually-gifted people (engineers/physicists/mathematicians), some of whom worked at JPL and CalTech. One can be a brilliant inventor/engineer, and still treat people well. It's not "rocket science." Just common courtesy. Treating others the way one wants to be treated.

May I clear up a few things in case it wasn't clear in my post? Some of you understood where I was coming from; some didn't or didn't read my post thoroughly. However, one can learn from all and hopefully I have.

1.) I'm kind of new to this sport and am learning my way around. It takes time. I haven't dove in a while (life).
2.) I try to treat others the way I'd like to be treated (even if you don't live by that value), up to a point.
3.) I knew the wing was out of warranty, and I was wondering if he would stand behind his product even though
past warranty. Many companies do. It was not expected, just looked into it. I also said I would be willing to buy a
new wing if he wouldn't stand by his product. If I were an owner, I'd want to know if/where my product failed.
4.) I don't normally go to a company's website to see if they're in business before calling their customer service, do
you? I was not aware of the situation because I just made a major move myself and things (my scuba gear) have
been in storage. I understand the stress of a big move and build first hand. I still don't make someone for my
personal decisions or be rude to them if they didn't know I moved/built. I dialed his number from my phone contact.
5.) I was wrong...(it had been a while since I held the wing) and the leak is actually in the hose (exhaust valve area).
6.) My local tech was happy to help me get it fixed for a very fair price in quick order.
7.) Of course we should check our gear before using it! I received this bp/w the day before leaving on my first diving
trip to COZ. I didn't have time to check it. I had been using the rental gear offered in my class, which worked well
and which I took to COZ. I only tried my new DSS bp/w on the last day of an 8 day training trip. I was so excited
to try my new personal gear and to learn the relative freedom of a bp/w set-up over the classic recreational bcd
I had been using. I dove the DSS in shallow water (15') near shore with a very experienced dive buddy to test and
work out final ballast. The gear worked well except for the hose leak and the tank slipping twice, my bad.
8.) Mike (DRIS) could not have been more helpful before my first dive trip. Went way overboard (pardon the pun) to
supply me with what I needed and nothing I didn't, at a fair price.
9.) It wasn't my purpose to "torpedo" DSS or the owner. He does a fine job of "torpedoing" himself. It was my
intent to inform others of the truth and my experience, as it happened to me, especially new folks to the sport.
10.) Had the owner given me half a chance, I would have offered my truck and time to help him move, like I've done for
others in need.
11.) The beauty of capitalism is that one can buy from and support whomever they want. If DSS meets your needs I
then, by all means, continue to give him/it your business. If not, go somewhere else to spend your money.

While I can understand where Tobin is coming from, I can feel OP's frustration as an customer looking for help. Even if warranty is expired, even if DSS can't help for the time being, and even it is all OP's fault to cause the pinch flat, all he/she did is ask for help, you can always decline nicely and explain your saturation. The end result will be exactly the same - DSS is not able to help for the time being, but I am sure OP won't have the same frustration. I hope it is something Tobin can consider.

5.) I was wrong...(it had been a while since I held the wing) and the leak is actually in the hose (exhaust valve area).
6.) My local tech was happy to help me get it fixed for a very fair price in quick order.

I bet he was. But what, succinctly (please), is your beef with this Tobin character....again?

Last edited:
I'd like to take this whole thread as a reminder we are all imperfect and flawed, subject to stress and frustration and anger. Tobin perhaps more than most, though with a personal gift for making excellent diving gear and giving good advice about his systems. I would suggest releasing any anger or guilt or resentment and moving on. I think Tobin would normally have been much more helpful, and I think the OP had an unenviable experience. It sounds like Tobin was having one at the time too.

To the OP, I am sorry to hear about the trouble with your wing, but glad you were able to have it fixed.

To the OP, I am sorry to hear about the trouble with your wing, but glad you were able to have it fixed.

Love to hear the "Local Tech's" assessment of the inflater problem and the cost of repair.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom