DSS (Deep Sea Supply)---Warning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If Tobin is out of commission for six months, shouldn’t he give a six month extension on all warranties? 12 month states warranty plus 6 month “Grace Period due to move” would put this guy right on the line for warranty call timing, ( warranty activation is Time you call, not time of leak, which may have been earlier.)

No offense as I like all of your posts, but I think you're either defending Tobin because you two are friendly (via SB or wherever), or more likely you're just assuming that the OP knew all of that. I only knew that Tobin was moving because I saw someone comment about it on FB. I rarely use FB so it was an accidental find. I had no clue he wasn't handling orders during that move. If I was a customer with an issue or question, I would not have known he's not doing any work and I would have called him. The OP's wing was out of the warranty period, so Tobin has every right to tell him he can't help. On the other hand, it's not the customer's fault that his gear manufacturer is moving. Tobin should either have put in place a way to help his customers with their basic requests or should be at least nice enough to say "hey, I'm in a move right now and am sorry. I can either fix it when the move's over or will find a way to help if it needs to be done sooner" (assuming it's a client with a minor in-warranty request). It sounds like in classic Tobin fashion, he acted like a complete a-hole and just lost himself a customer. He has very outstanding quality products, but I'm surprised he has any customers with the way he treats people. If you're in business you have to at least fake not being a douche sometimes.

Hit it on the head. Look at how Mike at DRIS treats people and how DGE goes out of their way.
Actually, Tobin unfriended me on Facebook, so that's how that goes.

I feel badly for Tobin. He's a frustrated taxpayer living in California and moving to Nevada in the hopes of a better life. Whatever, we all live the American Dream. He's moving his whole factory by himself, with a trailer and pickup truck, and trying to get restarted. maybe he had a bad day. Maybe he had a hundred flat tires. Maybe a hundred things happened, and I can assure you, there are days I answered the phone when I wish I hadn't.

But Tobin's website is very clear. He is out of business from April 20 for 6 months or more. No income. Guy calls with a brand new wing that's 8 months out of warranty with a pinch flat. Had he had a better day, Tobin would have gone to the box with the wings in it and grabbed a wing and sent it on. But that box is in Nevada, or it's in California, or maybe he isn't quite sure where it is. It's somewhere, though. But it isn't where Tobin is. So there is not one single solitary thing he can do for the OP. Who isn't asking for anything, or maybe he is, I don't know, but he called. So he wants something. From someone who isn't in business. And can't do anything for him.

So the Op comes to ScubaBoard for the express purpose of harming Tobin. Nothing else, just revenge. Now, Tobin has never been friendly. He isn't your friend or chum, he's a manufacturer of dive equipment who shouldn't pick up the phone. But what Tobin is is helpful. Unless he can't be, which his website clearly states.

So get your wing from Mike at DRIS or Mark at DGE. They are very nice guys, and that's where I get my gear. I buy a lot of it. Mark is always helpful and has a wealth of knowledge. But Tobin is who Tobin is, and it's not productive to pet the dog who bites and then complain that the dog bit you.

If Tobin is out of commission for six months, shouldn’t he give a six month extension on all warranties? 12 month states warranty plus 6 month “Grace Period due to move” would put this guy right on the line for warranty call timing, ( warranty activation is Time you call, not time of leak, which may have been earlier.)

if the OP calls when he's back up and running at the end of the year he may be surprised at the answer... just saying

So, what I get from this is: A guy buys a product and the first time he uses it it fails. The manufacturer refuses to deal with it because it is out of warranty. This is a small operation so it's not like he's refusing service under lawyer's advice. He's doing it because it's inconvenient for him to back up his product that was designed to be unrepairable.
His only defense is that everyone knows he's a jerk.

I think the OP is giving the community good advice.

Perhaps the bottom line is that OP and readers considering DSS gear should not let the issues get muddled.

The universal, or at least near universal consensus, is that DSS has top quality gear and that it is an up-and-up business that stands behind that gear. It is also true that the bedside manner may not always the best. But, that's a different issue.

Objectively, OP had a leak (that if it really was a manufacturing issue as opposed to a pinch could have been detected when the order was received) that he discovered 8 months after the warranty expired. Unfortunately, Tobin is temporarily unable to assist - a fact that he warned about, put on his website, and explained on this board. Perhaps there was a failure of diplomacy in the communication, but objectively, there isn't much to be done until DSS is set up in its new digs.

I have never been treated rudely by DSS, at most only perhaps a little curtly if my question was a silly one (as, in retrospect, some were).

Obviously, anyone can choose to do business, or not, according to whatever criteria they choose. But, it would be unfair and incorrect to say that DSS is not a (highly) reputable boutique supplier of high quality dive gear or to try to torpedo its reputation. That's what I'm reacting to.

I don't have a dog in this fight (although I did have one conversation with Tobin when originally looking for a BP/W and it was a helpful, if strongly opinionated, conversation), but I have started and run three different service businesses, and in my companies there was no such thing as an inconvenience when it came to customers - and all my employees knew this. I once jumped into a truck to drive 2 hours to deliver a $0.50 part immediately after receiving a call, even though I could have put them off and delivered or shipped it when convenient to us, or at least have one of my employees make the trip. This was primary to send a message to our employees about how we treat customers. It always paid off many times over and cemented our reputation for great customer service. But this is America, and any company is free to run anyway they chose and deal with the consequences. But for me, customer service is key when I'm looking to purchase something.

I liked my DSS wing so much that I bought an identical one for backup. Now with the shutdown at DSS, I'm really glad I did. When I chose to patronize DSS I did so understanding that DSS is a small business and that dealing with a small business carries some risk of lack of continuity. Tobin was easy to get ahold of and helped me select the right wing for my needs. Completely relocating a small business must be brutal. I do hope Tobin gets the business back up and running smoothly and doesn't let the lapse in customer service leave a permanent scar. @Bubblesong 's suggestion of extending warranties is brilliant.

@rddvet not getting into the specifics, but it is on their main website page and has been for several months at this point

I checked out his site and saw that after seeing the thread here. At the same time, I have Cave Adventurers, EE, CCDS, and Rennaker's numbers in my phone. If I ever had a problem with something I bought from them, I would not go to their site for the phone number. I'd just go to my phone. So idk if the OP went to the site and looked and called anyway, but you can't assume just because it's on the site everyone will see it.

And more importantly, if you're business is going through a sudden transistion that affects customer care a wise business owner would do whatever they can do alleviate the stress on their client and be frank but apologetic in the manner. I'd suspect I'd sooner start s******g gold than Tobin follow that principle.

Back
Top Bottom