DSS (Deep Sea Supply)---Warning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This thread is crap. I'm surprised it's allowed to continue. The guy probably doesn't even have internet right now, much less even know about all of you talking behind his back. It's just chicken shìt where I come from.
Actually “Our Tobin” of DSS, who posts under @cool_hardware52 answered a bunch of postsearlier in this thread, came out swinging, taking all comers, some collateral damage to innocent parties, (like why bash Scubaboard, if you’re on Scubaboard?)
Kind of like Oscar the Grouch from Sesame Street, he pops his head out of the can to grouch, but he can also be very helpful, sincerely wants the best for his loyal customers and so he is just another colorful, lovable, grouchy character here on “Scubaboard Street” and I do believe he will be re-opening as soon as he is able.

Actually “Our Tobin” of DSS, who posts under @cool_hardware52 answered a bunch of postsearlier in this thread, came out swinging, taking all comers, some collateral damage to innocent parties, (like why bash Scubaboard, if you’re on Scubaboard?)
Kind of like Oscar the Grouch from Sesame Street, he pops his head out of the can to grouch, but he can also be very helpful, sincerely wants the best for his loyal customers and so he is just another colorful, lovable, grouchy character here on “Scubaboard Street” and I do believe he will be re-opening as soon as he is able.
Ahh I see. And then a mod deleted it?

There's 3 or 4 posts from Tobin. Pretty sure this is the first of them: DSS (Deep Sea Supply)---WARNING They're not gone, just buried in the many replies.

Maybe I'm mincing threads, but I thought OP expressed his desire for the thread to end...

@cool_hardware52 posts NOT deleted, see posts 93,94,97,98 and quoted in post 105. Unless you are only referring to “bash Scubaboard” which is post 97 and 98. (I mean, come ooon Tobin, we are ALL here because we love diving, dive gear, etc.).
Admittedly, I love his querelous posts because they give me great material for Rude Limericks, although I could use some help finishing the last line on this one:

Scuba-board chickens are forever clucking

‘bout who got a good deal and who got a plucking

Tobin-Bantam Bird

Will squawk the last word

@cool_hardware52 posts NOT deleted, see posts 93,94,97,98 and quoted in post 105. Unless you are only referring to “bash Scubaboard” which is post 97 and 98. (I mean, come ooon Tobin, we are ALL here because we love diving, dive gear, etc.).
Admittedly, I love his querelous posts because they give me great material for Rude Limericks, although I could use some help finishing the last line on this one:

Scuba-board chickens are forever clucking

‘bout who got a good deal and who got a plucking

Tobin-Bantam Bird

Will squawk the last word

I love “querelous”. Great word. Thanks!

You sold your products with the promise that if the wing gets damaged it will be repaired for a reasonable charge. You made wings that are not user serviceable. Now you are reneging on that promise. The OP's wing is not some obsolete product that was purchased decades ago. It was purchased less than two years ago. What about the people that bought your product before you closed up shop? Did you tell them you have no obligation to fix the wing even though it is still under warranty? Some people believe their word is their bond, I see you are not one of them.

So you are comparing servicing a product that is 18 months old and still in your current catalog with a 20+ year old technology device which CD burners made obsolete? This is truly an apples to oranges comparison. My father's Jeep is 15 years old, if he takes it to the dealer they will still service it. How about we make a closer comparison. If I want a new bladder for a Halcyon wing I can just order one from Extreme Exposure, from DSS I can't and never could. If I damage my DRIS wing, I call Mike and he will patch it for free. . . .

I get where you're coming from with this line of thinking, but I would still take the position that no actual "promise" was made as far as I ever saw on DSS's website or in Tobin's SB posts, and anyone who purchases something from a small company based on a belief that the company will be around forever--indeed, who doesn't recognize the small but real possibility the company may not be there tomorrow--is living in a fantasy world. My dad had a small, niche-product manufacturing company, and I'm sure when he suddenly went bankrupt (we nearly lost our house) and his machines needed service there were some annoyed customers. I too have bought Halcyon gear from EE, and I did so based mostly on my perception of the quality of the gear but admittedly also on a belief that their service is great and the likelihood of Halcyon and/or EE disappearing in the next few years is very low. I have visited Halcyon's facility, and I saw what's going on on their manufacturing floor. It looked like a tiny manufacturing operation to me, but my overall impression was they were doing well. When I bought my DSS gear a few years ago I knew it was a small company but that's about it--for all I knew it was a one-man operation. What if instead of DSS moving to Nevada, the event we were discussing here were Tobin simply retiring, or having to suddenly and unexpectedly cease work due to his health? Those are always real possibilities when you buy from a small business that is reliant on one key person. I made a calculated decision they weren't going out of business very soon, and in my case, my DSS gear is still holding up after several years. I do feel sorry for those whose timing was less fortunate, but if they are complaining here about broken "promises" then I believe their expectations were unreasonable.

It's true that the DSS wings are not designed to be "user serviceable," but I'll go back to my smartphone and other non-user-serviceable consumer products analogy. These are things that are not designed to be opened up by the user and cost on the order of hundreds of dollars--we're not talking about cars--and when they break, unless you are able to do the research and have the time and tools to do it yourself, your only choice is to spend a hundred or more dollars to have someone else repair it. I suppose a clever person could find a way to repair their own DSS wing, even if that takes tracking down an industrial sewing machine. To me, opening up a wing and doing surgery on it would be just as daunting as opening up my smartphone and mucking about on a tiny circuit board. I am guessing others might consider it feasible. Whatever the product, if there's enough demand, someone will offer service for it. But as we all know, wings are a niche gear item in a niche sport. Some of the manufacturers are likely small businesses. Any reasonable person would recognize there is some risk buying these kinds of products.

I don't know why people are crying to get this thread taken down. There's been a long history of Tobing being helpful mixxed with a lot of really nasty attitude. His attitude is known through the dive world and is kind of a joke at this point. Someone is unhappy with his service and others have commented on their experiences. There's nothing untrue or wrong being said. There's written evidence of these behaviors on this board. The chairman even said he doesn't see this as a problem thread.

I think if Tobin had been the world nicest guy and bent over backwards for everyone all the time (like DRIS) and this happened it would be one story. The fact that this is chronic behavior is why there's such a response and why I believe the thread shouldn't/won't be moderated.

like why bash Scubaboard, if you’re on Scubaboard?
It's easy to bash what you don't understand or can't manipulate. It's pretty common to do if/when you're frustrated that people are expressing an unflattering opinion. Given his history, why would you expect him to be reasonable at this point? If you criticize him at all, he's going to attack you, attack the medium you're using and anything else he can shift the blame to. He sees it all as bashing so he responds in kind. Think of it as his interpretation of anti-social media. No, it doesn't make sense but that's the way he does things. He would rather vent his frustrations than to learn and evolve. You either tolerate this or buy a Zeagle Express Tech.

It's easy to bash what you don't understand or can't manipulate. It's pretty common to do if/when you're frustrated that people are expressing an unflattering opinion. Given his history, why would you expect him to be reasonable at this point? If you criticize him at all, he's going to attack you, attack the medium you're using and anything else he can shift the blame to. He sees it all as bashing so he responds in kind. Think of it as his interpretation of anti-social media. No, it doesn't make sense but that's the way he does things. He would rather vent his frustrations than to learn and evolve. You either tolerate this or buy a Zeagle Express Tech.
Deep6 is another good option. Also a small business, but deep6 is run by a guy I would describe as the person most responsible for the success of the HOG brand. I don't think it will be too long before deep6 would be able to survive the current proprietor's departure if he decided to do something else.

It's not like there is a shortage of options for buoyancy compensators in the world. I bet there's literally hundreds of models to choose from. I love my diverite rec exp, but with 55lb lift it's a little large for what many people prefer.

Since I finally won the freedom plate lottery (it's shipping today!) maybe I'll buy a smaller wing to go with my fancy new plate!

Back
Top Bottom