DSS (Deep Sea Supply)---Warning

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you make someone a promise and they rely on that promise it is called "fraud in the inducement", this could be criminal but that is up to a jury to decide

You are mistaken...which is comical since you claim to be a college professor and an expert in both criminal and civil law.

Whether criminal or civil, fraud generally has several legal elements, including the following:

• Misrepresentation of a material fact
  • Knowledge on the part of the accused that they were misrepresenting the fact
  • The misrepresentation was made purposefully, with the intent of fooling the victim
  • The victim believed the misrepresentation and relied upon it
  • The victim suffered damages as a result of the misrepresentation
When and if Tobin “promised for monetary gain” to repair or warranty his product....his business was...well...in business. You don’t have a leg to stand on.

For a $300 wing it is not worth the effort to take it to court

Criminally it’s not about the money...it’s about punishment of a crime committed.

Civilly, it’s not worth the effort, so why bring it up? Nobody cares.

We don't know if DSS will ever be back up and running. He said so himself

Correct, which makes it hard to levy charges or civil claims against him or his Company...

My assumption stands. He will probably honor a warranty if and when he gets back in business if that warranty expired at a time his business was closed.
*pure assumption, but Tobin strikes me as an @$$, But he is one with integrity.

Why do you care about the warranty? As the Chairman mentioned, a pinch flat was never covered.

Do you know it was a pinch flat? Who makes that determination? For all we know the seam of the bladder separated...thus the warranty matters.

would you be happy having to go out and buy another wing when the seller said if it breaks he will fix it at a reasonable charge?
Happy? No. I also wouldn’t lose sleep over it.

You claim you are NAUI instructor so I assumed you were still active and giving lessons. If you are not then why advertise it?

Being an instructor and owning a business are 2 different things. An instructor could be an employee. Keep assuming things that make you look foolish.

Wings such Mares, Apeks, Halcyon, and others use a metal inflator.
I have a Halcyon wing right now and it doesn’t have a metal inflator. I don’t think you know what you’re talking about. Metal inflators are meant to be worse than plastic anyway as they can corrode on the inside.

I have a Halcyon wing right now and it doesn’t have a metal inflator. I don’t think you know what you’re talking about. Metal inflators are meant to be worse than plastic anyway as they can corrode on the inside.

At one time Halcyon had a metal inflator, but it's been over ten years ago. There were some issues with them, as I recall, so they switched to ones they're using now.

To everyone, why publicly criticize a small dive shop about such a small thing in such a public place, when even if he was the nicest guy in the world, he still simply wouldn’t be able to help you even if he wanted to.

End of story.

At one time Halcyon had a metal inflator, but it's been over ten years ago. There were some issues with them, as I recall, so they switched to ones they're using now.
Oh ok so it’s not that @ams511 doesnt know what he’s talking about, it’s just of course misinformation from over a decade ago. Great.

alternative facts....

Ironically, this entire thread is predicated upon Tobin’s total lack of civility. He could have defused the situation from the outset by being polite and promising to look into it when he was able.

Instead, he pulled a “Tobin” and pissed off yet another customer. It matters not how many fanboys spring to his defense. Damage is done. I’ve purchased stuff through DGE and DRIS and now would never buy soup from the SN no matter how good it appears.

Are you folks about done in here?

(She says in her personal voice and not her moderator's voice)

This thread is crap. I'm surprised it's allowed to continue. The guy probably doesn't even have internet right now, much less even know about all of you talking behind his back. It's just chicken s**t where I come from.

I love the complaints about the one man proprietor should be ashamed for closing during the move. Hey, maybe you guys will get your wish and you'll be buying junk Chinese dive gear from Walmart one day.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is crap. I'm surprised it's allowed to continue. The guy probably doesn't even have internet right now, much less even know about all of you talking behind his back. It's just chicken shìt where I come from.

I love the complaints about the one man proprietor should be ashamed for closing during the move. Hey, maybe you guys will get your wish and you'll be buying junk Chinese dive gear from Walmart one day.

Yeah I forgot. Cellphones don’t work when you move from state to state. And alternative dive manufacturers don’t exist.

Chickens come home to roost.

Back
Top Bottom