Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wonder__Frog

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hey guys,

Got myself a lovely new BP/W system which I can’t wait to get using. Been a long term jacket BCD user, and although the pockets on them are awkward as hell - they are at least still pockets...

Just trying to map out the logistics of what will go where.

I’m using a DIR harness and no padding etc on the backplate - trying to keep as DIR as possible, but this doesn’t leave much room for storage. A lot of my diving will be in warm water without my drysuit, and my wetsuit doesn’t have any pockets.

Trying to think of a way of bungee-ing my reel (relatively small 30m finger reel) and DSMB to my backplate. Got all the bolt snaps, bungee and cave line you can imagine, but really keen to see if you guys have got any tips!

Open to any suggestions really, from butt pockets to DIY strapping/bungee-ing!

____
Frog

Yep. Clip it to rear during on crouch strap.

Suit pockets, rear crotch strap d-ring; you can use the edge holes of the backplate if you tie in a loop of cave line to clip onto. Direct clipping into the holes will twist a boltsnap loose, so don't do that. There are plenty of accessories pockets available, but suit pockets or pocket shorts are easier to my mind.

I just clip the spool and SMB off on my right hip d ring. Though for open water no stop diving I don't see the need for a reel/spool unless there's current, in which case you'll be using the reel as you tow a float/flag. So to eliminate a piece of gear I don't often use, I just cut a piece of aluminum pipe to the width of the SMB. Tied off thirty feet of line and wrapped it around the pipe connected to a double ender. Wrap the SMB around the pipe and clip the pipe snap to the SMB ring. If you're drifting on a safety stop or shallow deco just shoot the bag and let the pipe unravel. Pretty simple, tidy and no worries of the spool getting away from you letting out a bunch of line. Nice and streamlined.

Here's a picture. I also wrap a mono stringer around the SMB and put the stringer tip inside the pipe so I can send fish up if the situation calls for it.

20190803_202410.jpg
20190803_203141.jpg

I clip my SMB on my butt D-ring. My spool will either go on right hip D-ring if not carrying anything else or on butt D-ring as well. Don’t notice either of them back there when in water, easy to get to if need be.

Back
Top Bottom