DSD to Divemaster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

missrachelle

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Currently the route I am on now.. Aiming to be a divemaster by the end of June.

Started two years ago doing a DSD course in Cambodia, fell in love, went to Fiji finished my open water dived a bit more in Sydney and in Bali and then moved on to Advanced, Enriched, Rescue and now plodding my way towards Divemaster!!!

Tell me your story! Where you're up to, how you have found it, challenges youve had and why you love to dive!!!

MissRachelle. x

My first experience was with a resort course in Grand Cayman, whilst on a cruise ship about 8 yrs ago. I was bitten by the bug, in the worst sort of way. I learned to dive locally in a few local quarries & I dive these year around. I am currently an Adv. Open Water Instructor, a full cave diver & beginning to learn to dive a rebreather. I went to another instructor, than my original OW Instructor for my Professional & technical training. I currently have nearly 800 dives (hoping to attain 1000 within a year or so). I have done a majority of my diving locally, dove all over the Bahamas, Northern FL, MX, Little Cayman, Malaysia & the Galapagos. I am currently exploring the possibility of getting into technical & cave instruction, though I know I have a lot of experience that I need to gain, first.

Tell me your story! Where you're up to, how you have found it, challenges youve had and why you love to dive!!!

MissRachelle. x

I learned to dive in 1984 because my uncle made me. I grew up in the mountains and when I went to university in '84 he was working there as a marine biologist. It was his hobby and he encouraged me to try it.

I was a water baby and I loved it from the first moment. Initially I dove a lot with my uncle and his friends and eventually gathered a group of interested divers around me who I had met in various courses. I think I did AOW in the beginning of 1985 and Rescue later that year.

After that I dove, got experiences, and dove some more. In total, before taking DM I think I had done about 1000 dives (give or take). Obviously, I'm not a fast-track type of person and I do have some reservations about how well founded ones skills can be if they don't spend much time diving and solidifying skills.

Fast forward and I became a DM in .... 2002? Can't remember for sure. Around 2002 I decided to make diving my main hobby where I'm living now and got a little more serious about it than just diving. I started assisting with Rescue courses by playing the victim, something that I had done before. During the next few years I got my DM, got some technical training and assisted in the training of hundreds of divers.

More recently (since 2007 IIRC) I've been teaching diving. I don't know how many dives I have now for sure but it's been many years since anyone has asked me for proof of my experience, which is good because I've stopped keeping a log-book. :) This year, I'll be taking more technical training and I'm seriously considering becoming an advanced nitrox instructor. However this pans out, one thing is clear. I still have a need to develop my game.

Why I keep diving? For one thing, aside from the fact that my friends are almost all divers, I love wrecks and I love watching the wildlife. I also love exploring and I can't look at a body of water without wondering what's under the surface. My motivation to dive is nearly as high now as it was when I started, although I tend to find excuses not to dive in the winter where I live now because the water gets bitterly cold.

R..

Moved to Nova Scotia in '05 after a career in Northern Manitoba, where I had no desire to dive. Took the RV in for repairs, walked down the hill just by chance and into the LDS, which happened to be the biggest in Atlantic Canada. Did OW there shortly after, then some other courses as well as a number of courses in Destin, Florida for MSD. Then on to DM with that same store I walked down the hill to.

I got certified in 1983. Diving was a lot different then and the course I took, the instructor was a real task master. Was a college course so it was much longer than todays courses and it was NAUI. Never forget my first time in the open water and how I felt, so excited. I dove off and on for years then really stated diving more in 2009. Wanted to take some more classes and there were no NAUI instructors in my area so switched to PADI. Never intended to keep going as far as I have but kept peeling that onion and still going with it. I think most instructors out there do this for the love of scuba more than anything else. Getting to that professional level and helping people learn it has been a rewarding experience. Good luck with your DM stuff!!!! Never know where it may take you.

I did a DSD in a pool in 2007. I knew I wanted to learn to dive at that point, but didn't have the time or money to do it. Got my OW in 2008, but didn't do much diving until 2010 finally got really hooked. Did AOW in 2010, Rescue in 2011, and what was supposed to be just a DM internship in 2012. While I was working on getting my DM last August and September, I decided to do the IDC (I accidentally walked right into a salespitch, in a way... but in the end, i don't regret it). Then I came back home to cold water (very off-season here) and a few classes left to finish my bachelor's degree. With a couple more weeks left in the semester, my hunt for a dive job is underway. I'm also currently working my way towards MSDT. Originally, I didn't plan on going anywhere past AOW and could definitely not picture myself teaching. Whoops.

Started two years ago doing a DSD course in Cambodia, fell in love, went to Fiji finished my open water dived a bit more in Sydney and in Bali and then moved on to Advanced, Enriched, Rescue and now plodding my way towards Divemaster!!!

MissRachelle. x

Bout time you made it to SB missrachelle :p

You already know most of my story but I'll share with the group. I did my OW with Naui back in 1989, but when my mum quit diving, it pretty much fell by the waysidefor 20 years till I had a chance to do a DSD at the Great Barrier Reef. Once I remembered what I was missing, I threw myself back into it and now I'm one internship away from my DM and I'm halfway through Fundies!

MissRachelle. x

Awesome you're on your way. May I ask who you did your DSD with in Cambodia? I was working there at the time, and it'd be hugely funny (and a great honour) if I took you diving the first time.

Best regards,
SK

My daughter was considering a major in Marine Biology in college, so we both decided to certified the end of the summer of '11. That fall I took a live-a-board trip on the Aqua Cat, and that was all she wrote. Except or the winter, when opportunities become slim and dive buddies are hard to find, I dive as often as I can- warm, cold, murky or clear. In 20 months I found myself having been to Mexico, the Bahamas, Curacao, Cayman Brac, Key Largo, Pompano Beach, the Maryland and Massachusetts coasts. Needless to say, I love it. My best memory so far on this short journey is diving with my daughter in Cayman Brac- she is also joining me in Bonaire this summer.

With all this said, if all goes well, I should wrap up my DM training in May, and my Dive Con training this summer.

Terry

Back
Top Bottom