Recommendations for Divemaster training mid-August to mid-September

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not sure how to square these two statements with each other, but if you meant that you DO want to work in the dive industry with students and guide people, then that's a different story. Go for it.
I am not looking to do this course in order to work in the dive industry
I would like to work with students and people, learn to guide, get experience on boats, etc.

Your original post mentioned nothing of that. Just improving your diving and getting a lot of dives in.
Apologies for not explaining myself better in the original post, I guess I just wasn't expecting the responses to diverge from my original question so much. But can see everyone was just trying to offer their best advice for improving technical skills so thanks all!

Rainbow Reef is about a week for there DM program.
Thank you! I was hoping for a course that is a bit longer than that but perhaps they have options to extend - have you done this course? Rainbow Reef in Fiji right?

In key largo FL. That's where I did my DM and IDC

Apologies for not explaining myself better in the original post, I guess I just wasn't expecting the responses to diverge from my original question so much. But can see everyone was just trying to offer their best advice for improving technical skills so thanks all!
Yes, sorry for the misunderstanding. And I have no recommendations for places to do the DM course outside the US (which I guess is not exotic enough for you, and I can't blame you for that opinion).

Nevertheless, as you can see from the responses, learning DM skills and learning "technical skills" (as you put it) are really two different things.

True but not having to get a hotel and having a kitchen helps cut cost.

..... I would like to work with students and people, learn to guide, get experience on boats, etc.
So, in the water as you're working with the students and instructors you will be training as a Divemaster. When you get out of the water you will be training to be a Tankmaster. It's a lot of hard work between dives. Before starting the course ask the shop and the instructors what's involved with the job to see if it's still right for you. :cool:

Oh, there's also insurance you must buy to work as a DM. At my previous SSI dive shop the cost was $300/year. Depending on where and who you work for you may not need it.

SE Asia is a lot closer for Aussies
I am actually moving from Australia to the UK for a new job so since I'll have to move across the other side of the planet anyway geographic locations are pretty wide open :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom