DS-50 disappointed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rich52758

Registered
Reaction score
two dives in Grand Cayman yesterday and two in Cozmel today. I took lots of pictures but was disappointed with the flash results. I tried a number of settings. But I have mostly blue pictures with little or no flash. Look for it to be on Ebay next week. I thought this would be a great match for the S45. It was not. I will look for something else before the next vacation.

Rich

Hey Ike,

I've got a C4040 and a 6130.1 housing.

Which DS125 stobe kits fit that housing, the TTL Slave or the manual controller?

Cheers,

Andrew.

Ike, thanks for the link. If that is what I needed I wish I would have had it for the trip. I called Ikelite and B&H on the phone so I would get the right gear for my S45. The manual controler was never mentioned. I am disappointed because I'm a vacation diver and was looking forward to some great pictures with the new set up I had just purchased in the last couple of weeks. Now it will be at least another year before I can be treated to that kind of picture taking opportunity again.

In reading though some of the other posts it appears my issues with the DS-50 strobe output are not alone. Some sort of chart on the website with which camera gets which stobe and controller would be helpful.

Well back to my cruise.

Rich

ike once bubbled...
The DS-50 has sufficient intensity, but you need the Manual Controller for this camera. Right hand column of following URL explains:

http://www.ikelite.com/web_pages/dig_definitions.html

I've been using a Canon S40 with my DS-125 + TTL Controller for most of the year. I've spoken to a few folks from Ikelite as I was getting use to the settings of this system, and was never advised to use the Manual controller. Further, there is no info on the Ikelite website or docs that indicate this. Even the link you reference here does not say this regarding the S40/45/50.

I believe you however, as I have pretty much determined on my own over that last 9 months that TLL does not work well with this camera. I have been using the limitied 1/8, 1/4, 1/2 settings on the strobe in order to get good shots from my camera.

I echo the sentiment that is would be VERY HELPFUL if Ikelite would post a simple table show the top 5 or 10 digital cameras and the recommented controllers.

I guess it's time to order that manual controller now...

Thanks,
Dave

Dave...before you spend more money for another part to the puzzle that may or may not work, have you considered a different strobe?

You're right, TTL doesn't work well...at least not as most people are led to believe. Wouldn't you rather be in control of your photos instead of depending on the camera to decide what you want. Especially when it's making those decisions based on information programmed for topside photography, NOT underwater photography?

The Sea & Sea YS90DX is a manual strobe with 12 easy to understand and use power settings. No extra controllers, no extra sensors, nothing to aim. The fiber optic connection will work on any camera that has an internal flash.

Why does Dee post such a vicious reply? She jumps right in and recommends a new strobe rather than the controller that would solve the problem. Intensity and coverage of a YS90DX is identical to a DS-50; difference is power settings control in the strobe or in a sensor that mounts at the housing and doesn't need a fiber optic connection.

Blanket statement that TTL does not work is ridiculous. It works very well on many cameras, but does not not work on some. Simple answer is a no brainer: Manual Controller will work with every camera. I try to say which camera housings need the manual controller, but this discussion pertained to the smaller Canon cameras for which we have not offered a housing. I apologize for inadequate information.

Best answer is a combined conroller so all possibilites are available while diving. We are working on it. It just occurred to me that my first wife was a Dee. The name may explain this hate ike thing.............

Rich,

In that water, set your white balance. You'll get great no flash shots and get rid of the blue. If your camera has a white balance that you can set, learn it right quick and you'll get some photos. See the ones I posted last night. With the exception of the crab they were all flash free. I've got some work to do on composition etc but from a light perspective, I think they look great.

Rodney

Back
Top Bottom