Drysuits - Worth the Money?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The northern Great Lakes wrecks are, well... umm... "great"! The wrecks in Superior are still free of zebra mussels. I haven't spent much time in the southern Great Lakes. We're pretty spoiled up here -- the deeper you go the, the better the wrecks.

Mike

For those interested, the latest issue of Dive Training (just got mine 5 minutes ago) has an article about Argon use on page 103.

Well, you have to get below where ice has damaged the wrecks. Ice damaged has been seen on some wrecks as deep as 100'. Generally, the wrecks start getting decent around 60', but these have been vandalized by divers over the years. These are still very nice wrecks, but there's less to see as far as artifacts.

You start getting beyond recreational divers range (130'+), and you start getting to wrecks that haven't been vandalized as bad -- lot's of artifacts and such to see. The deeper you go, the less damage, and the less vandalism that has occured. Most of the common wrecks are less than 265' up here -- of course, the Fitzgerald is 500'+ (anyone interested?). :)

Mike

Wow.... go on a course for a day and you miss a lot.

Buy a drysuit - recommend it if you can afford it. But then you knew that.

I have a trilam - recommend that. But that's what you're buying.

Upgrade with features - but you've done that too.

hmmmm do I dare suggest a colour???? nah As someone once told me (here on this board) basic black goes with everything, including pearl -- may you find some. hehehe

All kidding aside, I love my drysuit and recommend it to anyone diving in cold - and thats below60F as far as I'm concerned. But I've also used my wetsuit in water a cold as 40F - didn't like it, but did it. I also like the idea of a shell - an layering the warmth you need underneath it. Anything form shorts to warm woolies....

Good choice on the Andy's suit. Myself, I have a DUI CF 200. I used to dive off of NY and am new to the MA area. Were are you located?
For underwear - I have a set of the Weezle Extreme weight. They are really really warm. They are like a sub zero sleeping bag. Tom Huff at Northeast Scuba in Chelmsford, MA has them in stock.

Eric

What's a couple million bucks? Mere pocket change for ya, I'm sure. :D

Mike

I dive mainly around Cape Ann too. (I live in Saugus). I survived down to about 38 degrees in a wetsuit, but I was cold and started sucking air like a hoover. My little brother has a DUI TLS350SE that he bought a few years ago, and I don't think I could pay him to put on a wetsuit. I'm still diving on a 2 piece 7 mil, and hoping to move into a dry suit next year. My wife is going to take teh plunge this spring and get certified, and she is always cold, so at that point justifying a dry suit should be a little easier for me. There are about 30 or 40 really good dive sites around Cape Ann and slightly south, although I tend to dive where I think I can find some lobsters. There are a bunch of wrecks within recreational range, like the Poling, the Romance, the Nina T, and the Gannet, but some are harder than others due to location and currents. If you have a chance, dive Egg Rock just north of Misery Island & Kettle Island. It's a pretty good time. I myslef am looking forward to joining the ranks of the CAD's

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom