Drysuit zipper wax

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dustinh

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I've been experimenting with hard and soft waxes. I seem to like working with the Mcnett soft wax (I think its called zip tech wax) the best so far. The tech wax (the hard one) seems to flake, and I don't even feel that it makes opening the zipper any easier.

Anyone have any better info on zipper waxes?

Dustinh:
I've been experimenting with hard and soft waxes. I seem to like working with the Mcnett soft wax (I think its called zip tech wax) the best so far. The tech wax (the hard one) seems to flake, and I don't even feel that it makes opening the zipper any easier.

Anyone have any better info on zipper waxes?

Da Bomb.

---
Ken

I use the same thing as Ken. The wax shouldn't really affect the way the zipper opens or closes.

I've got a question about some of these waxes, they are based on silicone and many drysuits say don't bring that stuff near it. Will these waxes cause problems?

I currently use Paraffin only because that's what Viking says to use and it seems to be fine, but I have been curious about what others have experienced.

I just use beeswax.

Dom

The reason for no silicone is that you'd better have some good luck to get anything to stick to the drysuit afterward. Silicone and aquaseal/cotol/glue don't mix very well, and once the silicone is applied, it's pretty tough to clean it off and prep it for the glue.

cummings66:
I've got a question about some of these waxes, they are based on silicone and many drysuits say don't bring that stuff near it. Will these waxes cause problems?

I currently use Paraffin only because that's what Viking says to use and it seems to be fine, but I have been curious about what others have experienced.

dannobee:
The reason for no silicone is that you'd better have some good luck to get anything to stick to the drysuit afterward. Silicone and aquaseal/cotol/glue don't mix very well, and once the silicone is applied, it's pretty tough to clean it off and prep it for the glue.

Which is why using on the metal part of the zipper isn't an issue

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom