Drysuit Zipper Debates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

otter-cat

Reaction score
There has been a long-standing debate between a couple of the equipment technicians at my LDS, and I'd like to get some outside opinions on the matter.

One of the techs says that you should always store your drysuit with the zipper closed (zipped) because the zipper is strongest that way, and is therefore less likely to get broken or kinked or otherwise injured.

The other tech claims that drysuits should always be stored and transported with the zipper open, because the actual seal keeping the water out is created by the two edges of rubber on the inside of the zipper getting pressed together, and if you always keep your drysuit zipped, those two edges will eventually start to bend into that shape, and will therefore exert less pressure on each other, making a less effective seal.

Which of these methods of drysuit storage is best? I am personally not too worried about getting kinks in my zipper when it is being stored in my closet, but when it's being transported to/from a dive site, it might be more vulnerable if someone puts something on top of it when I'm not looking. And I also wonder whether storing the zipper unzipped might allow dust or other particles to get in between the teeth more readily. My drysuit owner's manual (it's made by BARE) says it should always be stored with the zipper open, but I don't always think that I want to do everything that an owner's manual suggests. For example, DUI drysuit owners manuals state that you should not adjust your buoyancy (except in the case of emergencies/suit-malfunction)with a BCD if you are wearing a drysuit -- a concept I strongly disagree with.

So what do you think? Should I keep the zipper open or closed?

And as a separate question: Do you prefer to use hard wax or soft wax for your drysuit zipper, and why?

Thanks for sharing your opinions and info!
otter-cat

I agree about the manuals but I will add that my Whites had the directions to leave the zipper open when storing as well.

Chad

Zipper open in storage, transport time is short open or closed probably doesn't matter. However, feel free to be an independent thinker and ignore your manual and store it closed, I'm curious to hear how long it will take for the zipper to start leaking.

Ralph

Ralph,

The current drysuit I have is pretty new, and I've been storing it open thus far. However, the tech who recommends storing it closed, (and suggests it when he teaches the equipment specialty class) has been storing his drysuit with the zipper closed for many years. His drysuit has several hundred dives on it, and has never leaked. This is one of the reasons I am asking about which way is best. I do know that he takes very good care of all his gear, and waxes the zipper regularly, which I am sure is also a contributor to its long life.

otter-cat

I purchased a few drysuits for work last year and they were shipped with the zippers closed, inside the box they explained that zippers should be kept open for storage and that they ship them closed to protect them. If you use the drysuit all the time ie:a few times a week, then it might not matter, but if you are going to put it away for a month I would leave them open.

I agree with the second tech ... at least for most recreational divers. Pack and store with the zipper open.

The first tech is looking at the situation from the perspective of someone who dives a lot more frequently than your average diver. He can store the suit with the zipper closed because he most likely never goes more than a couple days at a time without using it ... and the rubber seal doesn't have a chance to compress or malform. Most divers store their suit for days or weeks at a time between dives, and in that time period your seal will compress ... and subsequently leak.

As for not kinking your zipper, the best way to avoid that is to fold the suit properly, and never place anything on top of it during storage or transport.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Open!

I use a dry bag (you can get them at most sporting goods places or marine supply stores) to transport and store mine and so don't run the risk of damage or contamination. It's also nice to put a wet suit into because it keeps it from dripping all over the car and it keeps the suit from drying out before I can get it to fresh water.

Thanks to all for your input! I will probably continue to store mine open.

Anyone have any thoughts on hard vs. soft wax?

otter-cat

Back
Top Bottom