Drysuit vs BCD bouyancy control

Drysuit or BCD for Bouyancy control?

• I use only my drysuit and BCD to float on surface.

Votes: 32 21.8%
  • Only BCD and little air on Drysuit to be warm

Votes: 91 61.9%
  • I really use both, Put little on my BCD and then my Drysuit

Votes: 24 16.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Daryl Morse:
Hey, you gotta problem with engineers?!?
They do a great job on trains :wink:

Daryl Morse:
I can't believe you'd comment about trains without a word about sanitation.
That would be a very low blow and I'm not sure that even engineers would deserve that.

I can not argue right or wrong in this matter, just that I've been taught not to use the BCD other than when floating on the surface. During the actual dive I only use the dry suit for buoyancy with the BCD empty. And I always have my out vault semi open to prevent me shooting up like a rocket.

JeffG:
That would be a very low blow and I'm not sure that even engineers would deserve that.
Wow, so nice of you to hold back the low blow!

Just wondering, did you get teased by engineers when you were at university? :wink:

Daryl Morse:
Wow, so nice of you to hold back the low blow!

Just wondering, did you get teased by engineers when you were at university? :wink:

Every computer scientist did. We were the ones who weenied on the math courses and took the easy route to high paying careers. Most engineers secretly envy computer scientists because they know in their hearts that computer scientists, while not smarter, are definitely more task oriented and pragmatic, something every engineer wishes he had.....However, due to a genetic social deviation (for lack of a better term) engineers are unable to express envy and it comes out as incessant teasing.

:D

R..

pieohpah:
I can not argue right or wrong in this matter, just that I've been taught not to use the BCD other than when floating on the surface. During the actual dive I only use the dry suit for buoyancy with the BCD empty. And I always have my out vault semi open to prevent me shooting up like a rocket.

There are stages of development as you learn to dive in a drysuit,

You start out using only the suit (or being taught like this) to limit the task loading.

After a short time most divers are a little frustrated with trying to control the suit and discover that using the BCD is easier.

Until you have quite a bit of experience diving dry and you discover (again) that it doesn't make one iota of difference where you put your air as long as you are comfortable and trimmed.

There is an absolutely stupendous amount of B.S. about this on the internet but the basic issue is neutral buoyancy, good trim and comfort. How you get there is a balancing act any way you do it and as your skills with the suit improve so will your options. A preference is just that, a preference. There is no right and wrong. (see my sig)

R..

Gentlemen,

A little teasing is certainly okay, such as that between engineers and computer guys, and that is where we are now. Just a gentle reminder here that we should keep it that way. :wink:

R. Davie
SB Staff

BigJetDriver69:
Gentlemen,

A little teasing is certainly okay, such as that between engineers and computer guys, and that is where we are now. Just a gentle reminder here that we should keep it that way. :wink:

R. Davie
SB Staff
You tell them. They were being mean to me :17:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom