Drysuit vs BCD bouyancy control

Drysuit or BCD for Bouyancy control?

• I use only my drysuit and BCD to float on surface.

Votes: 32 21.8%
  • Only BCD and little air on Drysuit to be warm

Votes: 91 61.9%
  • I really use both, Put little on my BCD and then my Drysuit

Votes: 24 16.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wcl:
Oh yeah, the nerdmeter is pegged ... it's a bit oxidized from long-term storage (changed careers), but I have my PhD in experimental high energy physics in the closet somewhere ...

I'm sure we can have jolly old time deconstructing the simplest act in diving! :laugh:

-- Walter
Yeah, except I've wasted far too much time on this. Far too much. I did find a paper that modeled the bouyancy of a scuba diver. Not much detail given and they neglected the compression of the wetsuit.

Bill.

Diver0001:
So, while we're on the subject, Jeff, what's your gig?
I'm a computer dweeb that writes software. But I started in honors physics, thinking I would go for a PHD, but somewhere along the way I figured out that there were no chicks in my class and yet I needed a degree so since I had a lot of math courses under my belt, so I ended up with a BSC with a major in Math and minor In psychology

Go figure.... :wink:

Lightning Fish:
Not much detail given and they neglected the compression of the wetsuit.

Bill.
The bass tardy like folk

Lightning Fish:
Mechanical engineering now, eng. phys. is from years and years ago.
I should of guessed...Only an Engineer would over engineered this problem :wink:

Mabe cause Im a very very new drysuit diver or just plain stupid but Im not getting anything in this post anymore.. Oh and btw Im a nerd and proud of it :) Happy diving

ScubaTwo:
Mabe cause Im a very very new drysuit diver or just plain stupid but Im not getting anything in this post anymore.. Oh and btw Im a nerd and proud of it :) Happy diving
Thats why diving is better than posting...Don't feel bad...(except the nerd thing :wink: )

Sideband:
That's great...until your inflator has a problem and it becomes impossible to get positive, or you forget to connect your suit hose. I was out with someone this weekend that forgot the hose and was not able to reconnect it at depth. His wing got him to the surface. What would you do?
Btw, how does a BC "take up extra air"?

Joe

Who did this guys buddy check?

Also, disconnecting and reconnecting a drysuit inflator hose is a basic skill that anyone using a drysuit should be able to do underwater with their gloves on. If you can't you should practice.

Mike

BCD (Bouyancy Control Device)

Drysuit (Environmental Protection/Climate Control)

Hmmmmm?

mempilot:
BCD (Bouyancy Control Device)

Yes, this is FACTUAL.

Drysuit (Environmental Protection/Climate Control)
And this is SUBJECTIVE.

It bears repeating: there is no RIGHT or WRONG method of buoyancy control when it comes to the drysuit vs. BC controversy. It all comes down to training & proficiency.

Back
Top Bottom