Drysuit urine management survey - men

What is your usual strategy for managing urine while using a drysuit?

• Condom catheter with P-valve

Votes: 122 60.7%
  • Condom catheter with collection bag

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Adult diaper

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • Medication to reduce urine produciton

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Uretheral catheter with either P-valve or collection bag

• Urinal-type products with either P-valve or collection bag

• Plan dives so that urination during the dive is not necessary

Votes: 66 32.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You're only hairy the first time.
That glue sticks really well, and an errant hair can make for an incredibly uncomfortable experience.
I gather you've never considered waxing? :wink: Me neither...

Btw, how is shrinkage handled? Do you size the catheter for a moderately happy Mr. Happy, a relaxed Mr. Happy, or a Mr. Happy who needs a hot shower before he even considers saying hello?

I find the best way to remove them is to squat down, put your foot on the end and stand up really quickly.
What, you need to squat down?
Years ago, after a few experiences with leaking balanced P-Valves, I converted all of them on my drysuits to unbalanced. Been dry ever since, but if you don't pee immediatly after getting in the water you will get much longer but only as thick as the inside diameter of the hose:(

Michael

What, you need to squat down?
Im rather amazed that it took more than two hours before someone couldn't resist and cracked that joke.

With a p-valve/catheter setup in a drysuit, sure.

In terms of environmental damage, it's pretty minimal. Fish are peeing all the time, and there aren't that many divers. That said, there are some at least theoretical issues. Mostly, you're adding a source of nitrogen (urea) to the water. That can feed algal blooms. Where I live, it won't make much difference at most sites because there's plenty of nitrogen in the water. In Florida (or other tropical locales), I suppose it might if enough people were peeing in the water. But it would be a really local effect, as in right on the dive site and nowhere else. Urine (unlike feces) is generally pretty sterile, especially from men. (Women are more prone to UTI, so there's a greater risk of lack of sterility there, and I don't want to think about how things work with a she-p in terms of bacterial exposure.)

On the other hand, with wetsuits there's an old line about 2 kinds of wetsuit divers. There are those that will say they pee in their wetsuit, and those that will lie about it.

LOL Thanks. I think most people lie about it lol You can see that diver who has his eyes closed with a big smile on his face lol

The very fist pee and a couple afterwards was tuff for me. My mind struggled to trust my bobies intentions, but clearly understood possible consequences. Stage fright I guess.

The very fist pee and a couple afterwards was tuff for me. My mind struggled to trust my bobies intentions, but clearly understood possible consequences. Stage fright I guess.

I had to hold onto the wreck the first time I used mine.

It had that much thrust?

I know some people who have to stop to pee. Others can do it on the move. I prefer to be stopped, but can do it on the fly if need be. After you break the seal and everything is good, I have no issues going 2 or 3 times during a dive. But often I will never use it. I would rather have it when I need it instead of not have it when needed. I am probably 1 in 8 dives I use it. I can't tell you which dive that will be.

Btw, how is shrinkage handled? Do you size the catheter for a moderately happy Mr. Happy, a relaxed Mr. Happy, or a Mr. Happy who needs a hot shower before he even considers saying hello?
You owe me a keyboard, mister!
Last month I had a two hour dive. Not long, but jumped from the car straight to dive boat. At the beginning of last deco stop I felt the urge, but not too urgent....yet. five minutes in I almost let it rip inside my suit. During a ride back, female captain said it was OK with her to stand on the back and relieve myself. Got back, prepared and.....nothing, just couldn't do it. P valve is my next investment in dive equipment.
BTW, I have seen some glueless catheters with some sort of band. Could a jar rubber ring do the work?

You owe me a keyboard, mister!
Send the invoice to the email address where you got your last 401 scam from.

Last month I had a two hour dive.
That's impressive. Without checking my logbook, I believe that the number of dives I've done with more than one hour underwater can be counted on one hand. And I have a well-established procedure: last task before zipping up: take a leak.

During a ride back, female captain said it was OK with her to stand on the back and relieve myself. Got back, prepared and.....nothing, just couldn't do it.
That's a well-known fact in coastal communities. Some people just aren't able to let it go unless they have solid earth under their feet. Back in the 18th/19th century, some of the fishing boats up here reportedly carried a piece of peat to stand on while peeing over the gunnel.

Could a jar rubber ring do the work?
Tie it into a knot. Might not work as well for growers as it would for showers, though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom