Drysuit urine management survey - men

What is your usual strategy for managing urine while using a drysuit?

• Condom catheter with P-valve

Votes: 122 60.7%
  • Condom catheter with collection bag

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Adult diaper

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • Medication to reduce urine produciton

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Uretheral catheter with either P-valve or collection bag

• Urinal-type products with either P-valve or collection bag

• Plan dives so that urination during the dive is not necessary

Votes: 66 32.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sympathise with those who are underwater for extended periods of time.
I dive dry and have had cancer surgery that left me slightly incontinent. Relieve yourself before diving and use an incontenence pad works well for me. Don't let anything stop you from doing what you love!

Wow - i had no idea of catheters. As a newbie I always wondered about whether guys just let it flow in their suits under water? Pardon my ignorance but is that not good for the environment if you do #1 in your suit? After my certification i guess ill have to get one of those catheters. I'm the type of person that if im around water long enough i automatically feel like peeing. Good topic.

Wow - i had no idea of catheters. As a newbie I always wondered about whether guys just let it flow in their suits under water? Pardon my ignorance but is that not good for the environment if you do #1 in your suit? After my certification i guess ill have to get one of those catheters. I'm the type of person that if im around water long enough i automatically feel like peeing. Good topic.
With a p-valve/catheter setup in a drysuit, sure.

In terms of environmental damage, it's pretty minimal. Fish are peeing all the time, and there aren't that many divers. That said, there are some at least theoretical issues. Mostly, you're adding a source of nitrogen (urea) to the water. That can feed algal blooms. Where I live, it won't make much difference at most sites because there's plenty of nitrogen in the water. In Florida (or other tropical locales), I suppose it might if enough people were peeing in the water. But it would be a really local effect, as in right on the dive site and nowhere else. Urine (unlike feces) is generally pretty sterile, especially from men. (Women are more prone to UTI, so there's a greater risk of lack of sterility there, and I don't want to think about how things work with a she-p in terms of bacterial exposure.)

On the other hand, with wetsuits there's an old line about 2 kinds of wetsuit divers. There are those that will say they pee in their wetsuit, and those that will lie about it.

You guys are lucky. You don't have glue anything to your privates.
Home

My personal strategy is not listed so I will mention here. Take the suit off, pee and put it on. Simple.

Using a pvalve and hydrate before, during and after dives. Relaxed, stress-free diving with much longer runs. Win-win on all fronts...

Manscaping is a requirement...... That glue sticks really well, and an errant hair can make for an incredibly uncomfortable experience.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom