Drysuit urine management survey - men

What is your usual strategy for managing urine while using a drysuit?

• Condom catheter with P-valve

Votes: 122 60.7%
  • Condom catheter with collection bag

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • Adult diaper

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • Medication to reduce urine produciton

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Uretheral catheter with either P-valve or collection bag

• Urinal-type products with either P-valve or collection bag

• Plan dives so that urination during the dive is not necessary

Votes: 66 32.8%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2airishuman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
A condom catheter and overboard discharge valve (P-valve) is the most widely promoted means of dealing with urine. There are other alternatives, however, and the purpose of this thread is to explore their popularity and the pros and cons.

I have set the poll options so that individual votes are not shown, for privacy.

Since the alternatives and tradeoffs are very different depending on gender, I would ask that women refrain from voting in this poll. Someone could create a separate poll to explore the topic for women, if there is interest.

Discussion of advantages and disadvantages is welcome, and everyone is encouraged to participate.

I've learned that I can manage a couple hours "dry" before it gets painful, so for short dives avoidance is an option for me.

Peel and stick with a pee valve. Don't always use it. Many time I hook it up and never need it. But when you need it, or even just want it, worth it. If I can plan to not use it, that is best. But I will not drug it nor bag it.

Don't drink before diving.
Some folks do it while diving rather than before.

Mary-Darlington.jpg

I just started drysuit diving. Everyone here seems to be "Condom catheter with P-valve" or "Plan dives so that urination during the dive is not necessary". I didn't know the other options until I read this poll. Since I'm just starting and I've already been doing "Plan dives so that urination during the dive is not necessary" with a wetsuit (really, I never urinated in my wetsuit), I just continue the same way. The few shops I talked to say adding a p-valve after the fact is easy. So no need to get one installed from the factory.

I'd definitely not do drugs. I'm generally not wild about doing drugs. Doing them at depth, under pressure just seems worse to me.

I'd worry that the adult diaper isn't going to hold enough. When I do start peeing underwater, I plan on just letting it flow. In general, the more clear your urine (clear or very light yellow) the less chance of infection. Also, staying well hydrated is good for reducing the chance of DCS. So diapers, bags or anything which might have a limit seems like a bad idea to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom