DRysuit Underwear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was diving Monterey with the DUI 300S with a expedition weight base layer shirt underneath. I was still getting cold for either long or inactive dives, but then switched my gloves to drygloves which made a LOT of difference.

If you get cold, try better hoods and gloves first. That may fix the problem.

Now that said, I recently purchased a DUI 400g Thinsulate. While it does diminish mobility a little (I tried on the 300s after using the 400g a while and was surprised how free I felt) you can't beat the warmth. For the first time I stay warm for any length of dive in Monterey, whatever I am doing. Heck, I could probably sit on the bottom motionless for two hours and still be warm. OTOH in the Summer I probably lose a gallon of water just walking to the water from the parking lot. :wink:

My wife and I both use the Polartec fleece, which has kept us very warm in waters from Mednocino down to Monterey. We went diving in Lake Tahoe during the winter and wore Polyproplene undies under that and were fine. Just add some of those fluffy slipper and it's like being eight years old ; )

Soggy:
Careful with the Weezle...I had a friend do a ballistic ascent to the surface from 90 ft because that ridiculously thin nylon shell got stuck up in his drysuit exhaust valve. He's very lucky he didn't get hurt.

I have noticed the valve clogging problem I have to say. It has never been serious enough to cause a Uncontrolled ascent. The thin nylon shell wicks the water to its surface and keeps you dry and warm.

That's not just a major design flaw with Weezle underwear - it's a life-threatening design flaw. Ask Eric about that - he's lucky he didn't get bent at best, puke out a lung at worst.

I also don't like the fact that they require much more air in them in order to maintain their loft.

AS per usual the anti weezle propaganda is out in force - have you actually checked incident reports? Compared the number of uncontrol ascents with weezle vs other undersuits ? (stats are online).

Thought not.

For those paranoid about the chance of it happening there are simple solutions. Incidentally the problem is still there with thinsulate type undergarments, especially if the suit is dived with minimal air in it.

As for requiring "much more air", again doesnt seem to be based in fact. They require a bit more air but having used both unless you define "much more" as maybe a 1/2 second press on the valve thats incorrect.

OK - String, just because Weezle is British doesn't mean you have to get defensive about them. :) It's OK dude - we're not about to claim the Queen is ugly or anything. (Although she is.)

The "sticking in the dump valve" issue has nothing to do with thinsulate vs. down, and everything to do with that thin, loose nylon covering over the whole kit that Weezle sports. I can't think of a Thinsulate undergarment which has such a creature, since Thinsulate can be 'packed' much more tightly. Since it's tighter across your body, it's less likely to get 'sucked up' into the dump valve.

It's the facts dude. There's no need to get bitter about it. :)

String:
AS per usual the anti weezle propaganda is out in force - have you actually checked incident reports? Compared the number of uncontrol ascents with weezle vs other undersuits ? (stats are online).

Thought not.

I WAS THERE and saw the tear in the very light fabric of the Weezle undergarment where it got caught up in the dump valve. I surfaced and conveyed the message to his buddy (who was on deco) that everyone was ok. I just don't understand why everyone is so adamant to defend it, just because they own a set and it "never happened to them." Just look at the ridiculously light fabric...it's an accident waiting to happen....and has happened, several times.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom