DRysuit Underwear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Boogie711:
Not picking on you Jonnythan - you know better, anyway. It was just that your comment, while valid, caused me to sit and pontificate... I get a kick out of folks who spend thousands of dollars on a fully customized drysuit, but then get stock underwear to save a few bucks... thus defeating the purpose of custom in the first place.

You are correct, only if you also assume that the word "custom" is meant to only apply to the temperature....I think the word applys to much more ("fit" of the suit, for example)

I have a signature series DUI TLS350 but am perfectly fine and toasty in a $200+ softwear fleece undersuit, built to my measurements...One of my friends has gone through two other suits on his way to getting the TLS350...He has the $600 thinsulate undersuit...but spent $3000 getting there...Who is to say who did better or worse, as long as both of us dive comfortably?

Should someone really spend more on the undersuit merely because they spent more on the DS? If they don't have to spend the cash, why should they? Perhaps it is *because* I spent a bit more on the custom suit that I don't need to spend more on the other items...

:banana:

You're absolutely right, Boogie. It wasn't until I had my drysuit for a while that I realized how true that was. "What, you mean people spend hundreds of dollars on fleece I already own?"

Live and learn :wink: Next time around, it will be a fully custom suit plus fully custom underwear.

BTW, Janice's Softwear is completely custom.. hell of a value, IMO.

When I owned a Viking DS I had a under garment that was like putting on a snowmobile suit Booooy Was I Warm right up until the suit ripped.

scubasean:
You are correct, only if you also assume that the word "custom" is meant to only apply to the temperature....I think the word applys to much more ("fit" of the suit, for example)

I have a signature series DUI TLS350 but am perfectly fine and toasty in a $200+ softwear fleece undersuit, built to my measurements...One of my friends has gone through two other suits on his way to getting the TLS350...He has the $600 thinsulate undersuit...but spent $3000 getting there...Who is to say who did better or worse, as long as both of us dive comfortably?

Should someone really spend more on the undersuit merely because they spent more on the DS? If they don't have to spend the cash, why should they? Perhaps it is *because* I spent a bit more on the custom suit that I don't need to spend more on the other items...

:banana:

Let me clarify from personal experience. I bought a DUI drysuit which fit "OK." I ended up paying a lot to tweak it in multiple go-rounds - gussets under the arms, new pockets, p-valve, etc. All in all, I paid nearly as much as I would for a custom suit.

But during all this time, I was wearing stock XL Bare Undies, because they were $200 and the custom DUI stuff was $600. It wasn't until after I spent the money and got the custom cut underwear (the aforementioned DC Stretch Thinsulate Extremes) that I discovered what range of mobility, comfort and even warmth meant while under water.

Custom underwear is arguably far more important than a custom drysuit.

Bare CT200 under my Nex-gen and added fleece under that for ice dives.

Just wanted to thank those that mentioned Janice's Softwear.
Lucky for me she lives in my area so I was able to have her
measure me for a custom one piece 300 with vest and socks.
Very nice lady and a great product at a great price. Also,
very fast turn-around time. Can't wait to get this under my
TLS 350! Winenut
Excuse me, that's Softweardiving.com

jonnythan:
BTW, Janice's Softwear is completely custom.. hell of a value, IMO.

Yes, her cuts and service are bar none...however, fleece just isn't a good drysuit material. I was shivering after 45 mins in 55 degree water with just the 300g fleece. It just isn't very warm, especially for diving in the northern climates.

I bought a Viking B400 Arctic Plus undergarment from Bob3 for a very good price. It has kept me comfy in temperatures from the 40s to the 60s. Don't nickel rocket the undergarment. It is what keeps you warm, not the drysuit.

I just recently switched from the DC stretch thinsulate to the SoftWear 300g fleece. There seems to be similar insulating capability, but the latter gives me more freedom of motion.

However, I was expecting to be able to drop a couple pounds, due to the less bulky fleece undergarment. Not the case ... in fact, I feel a bit light with the new undergarment ... like I could add a pound or two to my weightbelt.

BTW - Janice is amazing. I called her, gave her my height, weight, and jean size and asked if I could drive up for a measurement (she lives about 60 miles from me). She said sure ... and by the time I got there (about 4 hours later) she handed me an undergarment and said "Here, try this ... I made it from the information you gave me on the phone". It fit beautifully.

You can't imagine how much I wish she made drysuits ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob, what kind of temperature rating would you give yourself for that 300g fleece?

Back
Top Bottom