Drysuit Undergarmets for "warmish" water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Selachimorpha

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hi there,

I am looking for some advice on undergarmets for a trilaminate drysuit. The suit will be used in temperatures between 20C / 68F and about 24C / 75F. I know these temperatures may not sound cold, but when you consider that I will be diving in them nearly every day, 2 or 3 dives per day and lots of wind on the surface, I think a drysuit is a good option. I have already done northern red sea winter diving wet and I don't want to repeat it.

What kind of undergarmets would you suggest for this temperature range? I don't tend to get cold that easily, its more about being dry on the surface between the dives. I am open to brand names as well as DIY suggestions as for what to wear underneath a trilaminate suit in those temperatures.

Many thanks!

I use my Bare T100 in 60-70°F water temps. When the water is 50-60°F, I add an additional layer using a lightweight fleece top. I tend to run colder than my dive buddies, though. FYI, I wear polypro underwear underneath it all.

Perhaps you should consider the Hollis AUG 100 undergarment. It appears to be rated for the water temps you'll be diving, and it's relatively inexpensive ($125-$140). I haven't had any personal experience with it.

Good luck!

Cabela's has some nice PolarTec sweatshirts and pants. A little less money and multipurpose.

Hi there,

I am looking for some advice on undergarmets for a trilaminate drysuit. The suit will be used in temperatures between 20C / 68F and about 24C / 75F. I know these temperatures may not sound cold, but when you consider that I will be diving in them nearly every day, 2 or 3 dives per day and lots of wind on the surface, I think a drysuit is a good option. I have already done northern red sea winter diving wet and I don't want to repeat it.

What kind of undergarmets would you suggest for this temperature range? I don't tend to get cold that easily, its more about being dry on the surface between the dives. I am open to brand names as well as DIY suggestions as for what to wear underneath a trilaminate suit in those temperatures.

Many thanks!

Cabela's has some nice PolarTec sweatshirts and pants. A little less money and multipurpose.

I agree with the utility of fleece outdoor wear as drysuit insulation, especially for warmer water temps.

I like fleece because it can be used over a larger range of temps simply by increasing or decreasing the amount of air in the suit. Since it's so compressible, one can easily cool down by venting to get more squeeze. Or one can put more air in the suit to gain loft and warmth.

If one uses separate tops and bottoms, one can further fine-tune the combinations. In addition, a fleece chest pad can be created by folding a square meter of fleece material. That can allow less fleece overall while taking care of a major heat loss area, the chest.

Fleece also breathes well and dries very quickly between dives.

And it's very comfortable because it's stretchy and soft. I like that..... :D

For the temps mentioned, I use Cabela's Polarweight polypropylene long underwear as a first layer and Cabela's Polartec 200 weight fleece pants and jacket as a top layer. The weight of the polypropylene is approximately 100 grams/yard and the fleece is about 200 grams/yard. I also substitute 300 weight Polartec for colder temps down to about 7C.

I use the following products from Cabelas, but any Polartec garment will probably work just as well. Cheap fleece that is not up to the quality of Polartec may not be as good at trapping air, though.

For examples, links follow. No doubt, you can obtain something in your area that's similar.

Good luck!

Dave C

Cabela's MTP Polartec&#174 Polar-Weight Crew Top - Regular

Cabela's MTP Polartec&#174 Polar-Weight Drawers - Regular

Cabela's Polartec® Classic 200 Jacket - Regular

Cabela's Polartec® 200 Pants - Regular

Add this to the above list:

Cabela's Polartec® Classic 200 Crew - Regular

I prefer the sweatshirt to the jacket - collars can get in your neck seal sometimes.

(Dave: Do you know how the thickness of the MTP compares to the 200? Is the MTP thinner - a base layer? The scent eliminator could be useful.)

Good point about the collar. Luckily, mine doesn't interfere with my neck seal. :D

PM'd ya with some info about the MTP Polar-Weight underwear.

Dave C

A) get a ballpark idea - whether it's a particular undergarment, some fleece, whatever.

B) Take twice that.

Going to semi-tropical locations (actually, the Red Sea springs to mind), I used to take the "just right" amount of undergarments...by the last couple of days I was getting into the water with literally every stitch of non-cotton insulation I owned!

All the best, James

For 75 degree water, I'm very happy with the Diving Concepts base layer and a set of polarfleece sweats from Lands End. Below that, I'll go to my 200g Thinsulate jumpsuit from Diving Concepts. But if you're diving a a pro (as it sounds like you are doing) you will want something inexpensive and which can be easily washed and dried (anticipating the inevitable leaks). Fleece would be the way to go, or something like the Fourth Element sweatshirt-like material. Fleece dries faster.

BTW, I am the ultimate cold wuss, and I'm with you. I just dove the Red Sea in 77 to 80 degree water, dove dry, and LOVED IT!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom