drysuit undergarments for NJ tec diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I'm a recently certified tec diver (tdi ER), and I'm looking to incorporate tec diving year-round instead of just these nice comfy (and expensive) caribbean dive vacations. I'm in NYC, but this means I'd have to do some wreck diving off NJ.

I've never dove a drysuit; can you recommend undergarments specifically for the deeper waters off NJ, especially in late Fall, early Spring?

Also is it possible to deep dive with a 3mm wetsuit in summer, or is a drysuit required for that year round?

Recommending specific undergarments is something that is highly subjective. Everyone's tolerance for cold is different. The type of suit and how it fits will also affect how the undergarments fit and how well they work. Deep dives off the NY/NJ coast are pretty much going to require more than a 3mm. Even if you get the Gulf Stream working for you, it's going to be colder.
First thing to do is talk to a drysuit dealer or two and see what your options are. Then take a drysuit class where undergarment choice will be explained in detail.
I won't dive wet under 72 degrees or so. Tech diving, unless I was maybe in Bonaire, I will always be in a drysuit.

Just to give you an idea of the coldest I've experienced on rec dives in the last month:
Aug 11th on the Pinta @ 85ft 48F
Aug 25th on Stolt @125ft 50F
There is a bit of a thermocline 81F at 10'.
It really does depend a lot on where you are going along with cold tolerance. I dive J2/Arctic or WP2x all year around with 5 mil wet gloves. Dry gloves are probably needed in the Spring. YMMV. There were wetsuit users on both boats and they went down as far as they felt comfortable temperature wise. Some hanging off the carolina rig and no further.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom