Drysuit Undergarment vs Neoprene Wetsuit Equivalent

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

foglesre

Contributor
Reaction score
I've decided to take the plunge on a drysuit, a custom cut TLS350.

Now, I'm trying to pick out undergarments. Based on my dimensions (tall and thin) I think I'm going to get a custom cut undergarment from Softwear Diving. I'm just trying to get a starting point on fleece weight, based on equivalent neoprene wetsuit weight.

In 82 degree water, I'm wearing a 7mm full-body wetsuit (XCel 7/6/5). Obviously this is quite a bit more than the average diver...

For whatever temperature water you would be wearing a 7mm wetsuit in, what weight undergarment would you select for a trilam drysuit?

Bob

I'm tall and thin like you and found a 7/5 Semi Dry Wetsuit not enough once temp gets below 60F.
Switched to DUI TLS350 and I use their Polartec PowerStretch 300 undergarment. I've dove it down to 50F so far and have always been nice and toasty warm.

BTW: I just bought stock sizing in this (6'3 / 185lbs) and the Large fits me very well. Also, I was advised by a knowledgeable DS diver on a boat that you shouldn't wash the undergarment after every dive--apparently, it has a tendency to wash out some of the loft and that's what keeps you warm. The logic seems to fit, so I've taken to wearing a very-lightweight pair of Patagonia or North Face wicking long underwear to prevent any "funkiness". So far so good. Enjoy your new drysuit--as many will tell you, you'll probably only dive wet again when you're in the tropics.

I'm tall and thin like you and found a 7/5 Semi Dry Wetsuit not enough once temp gets below 60F.
Switched to DUI TLS350 and I use their Polartec PowerStretch 300 undergarment. I've dove it down to 50F so far and have always been nice and toasty warm.

BTW: I just bought stock sizing in this (6'3 / 185lbs) and the Large fits me very well. Also, I was advised by a knowledgeable DS diver on a boat that you shouldn't wash the undergarment after every dive--apparently, it has a tendency to wash out some of the loft and that's what keeps you warm. The logic seems to fit, so I've taken to wearing a very-lightweight pair of Patagonia or North Face wicking long underwear to prevent any "funkiness". So far so good. Enjoy your new drysuit--as many will tell you, you'll probably only dive wet again when you're in the tropics.

All great advice! I agree almost completely. :)

Adding a homemade fleece chest pad might help below 60F, since 300 wt Polartec will crush down quite a bit on the diver's lowest surfaces.

At 50F, I'd be cold with just 300 wt Polartec and a first layer, even with the chest pad, but I may get cold easier than you guys.

Remember, if you use enough insulation, water temp will no longer limit the length of your dives! :D

Enjoy the new suit!

Dave C

Back
Top Bottom