Drysuit Undergarment Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bearcat11

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello, I just bought my first drysuit (Aqualung Fusion Bullet). My LDS is letting me try some undergarments this upcoming weekend to help me decide what to buy for future trips.

I’m moving to the Monterey Bay, California area soon, where the temperatures are in the 55°F (13°C) most of the year.

When I dive in the Caribbean (80-82°F/26-28°C) I usually wear board shorts and a rash guard.

My plan is to wear a smart wool base layer and then undergarments based on temp on top.

What undergarments would you recommend? Is there a better base layer/way to do it?

If you’ve got a Fusion, spring for the Thermal Fusion. Love mine.

try the unbranded 300g undies off ebay if you are layering.

thermal fusion is overkill for most monterey diving.

I highly recommend the ScubaPro Climasphere undergarments. They're far less expensive than many; are exceedingly warm; and won't cause you to have to weigh yourself down like an ill-fated mob informant.

The Monterey / Carmel area can be a bit cool in the dead of winter; but it's not like diving in, say, Puget Sound or BC. A thin garment should suffice . . .

Do you run warm or cool? That's also a consideration. What works for some in your area may be overkill for you.

Personally, I run a bit warm all the time, so I use a MK2 onesie over a base layer I bought at Costco when diving my Bullet in cold Canadian dives. I've also got the MK2 jacket that I've never actually needed to use. I may even pick up a new thinner set of thermals, but who knows.

Keep in mind that the thermal undies have a 2 fold effect. warmth is onte thing and more or less may be acceptable. Let me throw something in. I have a tls350 is have 300g and 100g polar stretch undies. yes the 300 is warmer but the 100 is good enough for me for the temps I dive. The big difference is the lead I have to carry.... Its 40# for the 300g and 20# for the 100g. then with all that weight on a weight belt 40# it needs a wing that has most of the lift at the waist when a belt is used. So consider the weight and the placement effects needed to accomodate the undies you get and how it affects your kit.

For those themp I would be looking at the undergarments that DRIS sells under their brand. 500 Polar-T Undergarment

They have several different thicknesses of undergarments to chose from. I have the Thermal fusion and it is warm but it is a pain in the backside to put on!

Bearcat11:

I have noticed that the Bare SB or Fourth Element Arctic undergarments are quite popular in the Monterey Bay Area. Those of us that have very little resistance wear thinsulate, either the 400gm from DUI or Santi. A good baselayer is esential to maintaining warmth.

O.

I dive with a silk base layer from REI that is for wicking. I used to dive a Bare SB for my mid layer which was fine but sadly I out grew it (out not up at my age) and switched over to the DUI Midlayer which seems to work pretty well for me at 54F diving Breakwater in mid January.

I’m using a Bare Trilam Drysuit which I like a lot.

Monterey is pretty cool, but it is actually coldest in late April / early May when the upwelling hits and can get down into the low 40s at some sites.

Also make sure you get good socks and be up for wearing a few pairs. You never hear Gee my feet are too warm when diving here.

I have the Thermal fusion and it is warm but it is a pain in the backside to put on!

I am interested to know what you find to be a pain about it when putting it on, could you elaborate on your experience with the Thermal Fusion?

thanks,
-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom